Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Info On Carvin Rl6815 "cyclops"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASS_PLAYERS, Mar 18, 2001.

1. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THE CARVIN RL6815 "CYCLOPS" COMBO AMP?? I AM THINKING ABOUT BUYING ONE BUT WOULD LIKE TO AT LEAST HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT, SINCE NO MUSIC STORE HAS THEM. ANYONE WHO HAS GIGGED, OWNED, PLAYED, OR HAS ANY INFO ON THIS PLEASE REPLY!!!!!

2. I think gbrooks has 1...........Try and find him for a good answer.........

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    1) Hi there!

2) Please don't write all in caps.

3) Try the "search" function for old posts before posting new threads. Carvin amplification has been discussed a lot on this forum.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Also, I wouldn't trust that guy, he playes a Rogue, y'know? ;)

5. Hey I thought he drinks "Rogue Ale", nevermind.....:D

By the way Oysterman......You have a white spot on your throat, that could be an infection.......I would get that checked.......

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe That's true... you never know what I might do!!! ;)

Regarding the Cyclops... It's a great amp... Plenty of power and fairly portable (since it is in one unit) BUT HEAVY AS HELL.

As much as I like it for its great ability to be loud, clean, pretty much any tone I need... I would have rather got the RC210 redeye combo.

It is the same amp, 25 pounds lighter, with 2x10 speakers. Get that and a 1x18 and you will be happier. If you don't have that much to spend. The cyclops is a awesome amp. :)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, (I have one), the head is too much for the cab to handle, but that's a nice problem to have. Although, I find the 15" "farts" too easily if you have the bass shaping controls, EQ's, et al, boosted. It begs for another cab to bridge with it.

If you aren't using it for gigs, it is way too much amp.

Note: Mine is a Series II (with the tube preamp). If you get one it will be the Series III, (tube emulator preamp). Not that this distinction is a plus or minus. The Series III head seems to be getting good comments from the few I've seen.

Definitely get the casters. Carvin has been known to include them for free if you are getting other stuff and you ask. Even if you take out the 4 screws in the top of the cab and transport the 30lb head separately, the cab is still weighty and cumbersome.

Be forewarned- it is not a "plug n' play amp." Read and FOLLOW the enclosed set-up instructions carefully. I know of new owners who didn't and kept sending the amp into it's protect mode, (no volume). Alsthough the bridge switch on the rear will boost the already considerable volume even more, don't use it unless you are bridging to another cab or you will damage the head.

All in all, it is tough deal to beat.

8. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Thanks for all the replies. I have to get me one of those...

9. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA