Need info on non-Gibson eBay mudbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Sep 27, 2006.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm putting together a Tele bass sort of bass. Thinking about a chrome mudbucker in the upper neck (like a Tele Bass) position and (possibly) a Kent Armstrong chrome jazz in the bridge position. How do those non-Gibson "Mudbuckers" that you can find on eBay sound? Anyone bought one/tried one? I don't have any experience with the original Gibson mudbuckers, so I'm not looking to replicate the tone. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-NECK-HUM...ryZ22670QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

steep price on a no-name pickup new or not. Probably forigen made. Doesn't mean it would sound any less but it should sell for less - and probably will in a few weeks. Haven't noticed them before so I'm guessing they're new entry. You can get a used Gibson EBO for that and a Epi at half the price. I sold an old Gibson EB0 a year or so ago for about $30 that would probably bring $100 today, they've gone up since then for whatever reason. You can also get a used Dimarzio Model G or Model I cheaper than $60.

In general they sound muddy but you'll know once it's installed not before.

3. GlennW

GlennW Inactive

Sep 6, 2006
    I wouldn't ber surprised if they're single coils. I've never heard one, but I've seen a lot of budget HB look alikes that were SC inside.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022