1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need info on pay scale for movie musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by CB3000, Jun 4, 2011.

1. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I am looking for an idea as to what pay (AKA scale) is like for musicians performing on camera in a movie (big budget) and providing music for a film. i know it's vague but any help would be good. thanks!

2. I have no clue, but . . . that sounds like something that a musicians union would be able to help you with?

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If the movie is being produced by signers to the AFM agreement, then you will be paid union scale (at a minimum). Contact the AFM for that info, and if you are a member, it's on the website, I believe. If you're not a member and don't want to join, you can do the first service under Taft Hartley, but will have to join after that. Since it is on camera, you should also contact Screen Actors Guild and see what they say.

If the music is being produced outside the agreement, then you're probably talking about a buy-out situation.

4. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    It's highly doubtful your actual playing will be in the movie so you're a special skills actor and that's the pay scale you want to be going for. Here in Vancouver (aka hollywood north) the rate is around $350 a day to start. You fall into the same category as a non-stunt driver, skateboarder, skier etc. If you're using your own instruments that's a negotiating point too.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the situation in Canada probably doesn't carry over to union work in the states. The OP said they were using his music. Not that far fetched, I just did a one of these projects, on camera and my playing recorded while they shot. Covered under SAG through AFM.

6. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Ok, you're wrong SAG works up here too. :D
    I've worked on dozens of feature films and was just posting a real rate for actors doing this kind of work. Whether or not the music actually ends up in the movie is anyone's guess...recording a band over dialog is VERY rare. The things you want to be negotiating on are the acting, the music and the props (instruments) as these are all things you would charge for on their own. However you cut it don't undercharge just to be in the movies. It's likely gonna be a long, hard day of real work and you need to get paid for that.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Everything set in Seattle (New AMC Series "the Killing" anyone?) was filmed in Vancouver.

8. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

thanks everyone--i think the concept is we are on camera and they would use our recordings. i'm just gathering info TB has some very savvy members!

9. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Troy...your talkbass mailbox is full...-Al

10. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    I've done a little tv and movie work. AFM had two classifications. If you played the music used you were covered by recording scale. If you "played" or "faked" music on camera you were classified a Sideline Musician and the minimum call was eight hours at a lower rate than recording. Of course, scale is a minimum payment and can be negotiated accordingly.
    The real money came from composing music - the performing rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI or SOCAN in Canada) royalities can be worth far more than a day or two of sideline plus yearly Special Payments from the AFM.

11. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Thanks for that! It looks like we will get recording scale and possibly have an original in the movie. This is interesting stuff!