Need info on pickup and bridge routing charges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBrownBass, Sep 9, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I will be having the work done in metro Atlanta. They may be the same as anywhere else, but I'd like a ballpark figure before I start calling shops. What I don't want is to get a quote that's waaay inflated because I haven't done my homework, or poor workmanship because the price was too low.

I have a defretted five-string Jazz-style bass with a slightly anemic B string. The pickups are stock (the bass is one of Tradition Guitars' older models), and I'd like to drop a Duncan Basslines MM pickup into the bridge position. I'll leave the neck pickup in place for aesthetics, but I have no intention of wiring it. In addition, I want to buy a TK5 bridge from Warmoth and sink it about 1/8" into the body. If I get the new bridge (the old one is a simple Fender-style), I'll need to have it dropped into the body so that I can get the strings low enough- the bass is now defretted, and the strings are sure to sit too high with a modern bridge. I'm almost out of adjustment room on the G string as it is.

I figure the improved pickup (for overall tone and to cure the B) and the better bridge w/string thru-body (to cure the B), should solve all problems.

I need to know what luthiers and repairmen generally charge for this work- one rout will enlarge the current Jazz bridge pickup cavity to accept the MM pickup, and the other, much shallower, rout will be for the recessed bridge.

Thanks in advance.