Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info on pickup and bridge routing charges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBrownBass, Sep 9, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I will be having the work done in metro Atlanta. They may be the same as anywhere else, but I'd like a ballpark figure before I start calling shops. What I don't want is to get a quote that's waaay inflated because I haven't done my homework, or poor workmanship because the price was too low.

I have a defretted five-string Jazz-style bass with a slightly anemic B string. The pickups are stock (the bass is one of Tradition Guitars' older models), and I'd like to drop a Duncan Basslines MM pickup into the bridge position. I'll leave the neck pickup in place for aesthetics, but I have no intention of wiring it. In addition, I want to buy a TK5 bridge from Warmoth and sink it about 1/8" into the body. If I get the new bridge (the old one is a simple Fender-style), I'll need to have it dropped into the body so that I can get the strings low enough- the bass is now defretted, and the strings are sure to sit too high with a modern bridge. I'm almost out of adjustment room on the G string as it is.

I figure the improved pickup (for overall tone and to cure the B) and the better bridge w/string thru-body (to cure the B), should solve all problems.

I need to know what luthiers and repairmen generally charge for this work- one rout will enlarge the current Jazz bridge pickup cavity to accept the MM pickup, and the other, much shallower, rout will be for the recessed bridge.

Thanks in advance.