Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info on pinless strap assembly...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Apr 29, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I remember reading a review in Bass Player several years ago where the strap was attatched to the bass via a male "plug" into a female reciptor. The result was a very clean line on the upper bout, because there wasn't a strap pin sticking out. I can't remember which manufacturer the bass was from, but I was hoping that someone here is familiar with that setup and could refer me to someone who might sell that type of strap assembly. Something in the back of my mind says "Ken Smith", but I just can't
    remember... :confused: :(

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think that's a Dunlop recessed straplock.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    it was an elrick bass, and it was dunlop :)
    may have been someother bass as well, but i was looking @ that one last week and read the article, and i'm sure that's what it was.

4. dfung

dfung

Apr 29, 2003
    Yup, you're thinking of the Dunlop Flush Mount Straplok (http://www.jimdunlop.com/maintenence/straplok.html#flush).

Now, it may seem very interesting, but I can't think of a single reason that you would really want to put that on your bass. First of all, you have to drill a very large hole in your instrument to accomodate the embedded straplock socket. If you change your mind about it, you'll have to have the hole refilled and the strap button area refinished.

And you will change your mind about them the first time that you you forget your strap. Unlike any other straplock button out there, there's no alternative to having a working strap with straplock buttons. There's nothing that you can clamp to, use a cable-tie or twister tie on, or even use tape with. It's not just a matter of forgetting your strap - under regular use, the little spring loaded balls that lock the parts together get worn, and can make the connection shaky.

If that happens with any other strap button, you muddle through. With the flush-mount, it's time to switch basses.

These were standard equipment on Warwicks right as Ovation/Kaman stopped distributing them around the early 1990s. I have them on one of my basses and it sucks, even though I rarely use that bass. Prior to switching to these flush pins, Warwicks came with the really excellent Schaller Strap locks which are also relatively small.

I think the safest choice is the Dual Design Straplock (http://www.jimdunlop.com/maintenence/straplok.html#dual). This one has the regular Straplock locking system in the center, and a large regular button around it. That means you can use it with any regular strap in a pinch. The only bad thing about this model is that it sticks out of the body a long way - if you run your cord by the strap button to keep from pulling it out, you'll need to do something else. If you decide you don't like any of the external Dunlop straplocks, just unscrew 'em and get some Schallers.

The only bad part about the Schallers is that the strap locking mechanism screws onto the ends of the strap which means that you'll need tools to put them on and take them off. Some straps will require you to take the button off to change length, so just be aware of that.

5. dfung

dfung

Apr 29, 2003
    Yup, you're thinking of the Dunlop Flush Mount Straplok (http://www.jimdunlop.com/maintenence/straplok.html#flush).

Now, it may seem very interesting, but I can't think of a single reason that you would really want to put that on your bass. First of all, you have to drill a very large hole in your instrument to accomodate the embedded straplock socket. If you change your mind about it, you'll have to have the hole refilled and the strap button area refinished.

And you will change your mind about them the first time that you you forget your strap. Unlike any other straplock button out there, there's no alternative to having a working strap with straplock buttons. There's nothing that you can clamp to, use a cable-tie or twister tie on, or even use tape with. It's not just a matter of forgetting your strap - under regular use, the little spring loaded balls that lock the parts together get worn, and can make the connection shaky.

If that happens with any other strap button, you muddle through. With the flush-mount, it's time to switch basses.

These were standard equipment on Warwicks right as Ovation/Kaman stopped distributing them around the early 1990s. I have them on one of my basses and it sucks, even though I rarely use that bass. Prior to switching to these flush pins, Warwicks came with the really excellent Schaller Strap locks which are also relatively small.

I think the safest choice is the Dual Design Straplock (http://www.jimdunlop.com/maintenence/straplok.html#dual). This one has the regular Straplock locking system in the center, and a large regular button around it. That means you can use it with any regular strap in a pinch. The only bad thing about this model is that it sticks out of the body a long way - if you run your cord by the strap button to keep from pulling it out, you'll need to do something else. If you decide you don't like any of the external Dunlop straplocks, just unscrew 'em and get some Schallers.

The only bad part about the Schallers is that the strap locking mechanism screws onto the ends of the strap which means that you'll need tools to put them on and take them off. Some straps will require you to take the button off to change length, so just be aware of that.