need info on SWR super redhead combo!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASS_PLAYERS, Mar 3, 2001.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Does anyone use, own, gig with or record an SWR super redhead? if so please mail me any info you can on sound, reliability, recording quality or anything else about it. I want the lowdown b-4 spending the hard earned $$$!!

Anthony welton
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. i think marcus miller uses one. he's got hella tone.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I don't have one either, nor have I played one, but I have played its predecessor, the Redhead, which is a great combo. I don't think I favour the sound of it over my own great combo (EBS Taurus), but nevertheless it's a very good amp.
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The best club amp I've ever used. Sound is subjective but I like it and this amp would make most people's short list for a powerful 2 ten combo. It's loud enough for a 300 seat room, has the DI controls on the front so you don't have to fish around on the back (in the dark) for them, a flat top with no cooling grill to spill a drink down, latching front cover, very useful EQ shelving, wheels, and for the bang you get it's not too bad to carry. In about six years of using two different ones the only problem I had was wear on the speaker cone edges on the first one but I understand they've solved that.
  6. Even though I am a Mesa/Boogie man, I love Redheads......I like the combo you reffered to also....:D
    No, in all honesty I played one before and it rocks......

[​IMG] It looks hot also......
  7. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    I own the RedHead and I absolutely love it. It's not the best amp for stand alone high volume situations but other than that it's amazing. Gigging thorugh a PA and recording are this amp's speciality. You'll also have no problem competeing with a couple of Marshall stacks and a loud drummer. This amp has a wack of punch. More aggressive sounding that Eden gear. Looks cool too with the chrome grill. Go for it.
  8. I went to a concert in a school gym, and this guy was playing a Fender P through a SWR Super Redhead.

Sitting in the audience, the bass was full, punchy, and more than adequate. I HAD to check out his rig and was surprised to see this little combo !!!

If I had the money ....

9. As far as I'm aware the original redhead had the same pre/power amp as the Bass 350 head, which I play through an Eden D210T.

So I'd say go for it, but do try other stuff (eg Eden Metro, Mesa/Boogie Buster) as well and let your ears decide.
  10. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Go and read my post on carvin amps at . I'll sum it up for you too. I just used my new RC210 at a gig on Fri. night. It sounded awesome. The sound guy was dumbass and wouldn't let me use the d.i. so he miked the 10 from too far away so I couldn't hear myself through the main right next to me. I just cranked the carvin a bit and boom problem solved. I used it with my 8 ohms 15" cab and it was plenty loud. There was about 300 people watching and about 500 people came through the entire night. There were 7 bands playing so they had a long time to pass through. Lot's of people were commenting on my playing afterwards and I did a rather horse-****ty job playing, so my it must of been the amp and it's tone that stood out. It's a real forgiving amp. I still had some headroom left too. If you really want to shake the place, I'd recommend using a 4ohms 15" as the head in stereo or bi-amp mode can go down to 2ohms per side. And if you really, really want to shake some ****, bridge the out put and wire your cabs up in series. You have to make a special cord to do this. If you'd like to know how to do that, let me know.