Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info on the peavey amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    violatedppl helped me out, and i am thankful, but my amp is slightly different. it is a 'Mark III series' not a 260 series, and on the back it says 260C. it is a 115 1502-4ohm BW. Please, anyone with info/experiences post something for the love of God... i have done countless searches on TB and google and Peavey.com, and i have found absolutely nothing other than two like-wise information starved users on TB. I suspect it is more than the 135 Watts that violatedppl's amp was.

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Some back pics, it says 130 Watts @ 4 ohms, and their are TWO output jacks. Note that it is a Mark III series, not a 260 series.

3. Peavey used similar power amps in their older models but would change the preamp section to make it a specific model of guitar or bass amp. The power amp section in your amp is indeed a Series 260, as it says on the back, but if you're looking for an owner's manual on the Peavey site, look for a Mark III. (use the word "mark" as the search subject)

For example, I have an old Peavey head that they call "The Bass" but on the back it says Series 400. I had to order the manual for mine but since then they've put it on the site, under "The Bass"....Unfortunately the Peavey site seems to be down right now.

The two jacks are merely in parallel for your convenience, so you could plug in two cabs. However, I don't think your amp is rated to go below 4 ohms, check the manual for sure.

The Series number, just for reference, is the "peak power" rating--"peak power" is not a very useful number, but that was a common rating for all manufacturers in those days and some companies still use it today. "Peak power" for Peavey products is roughly twice the RMS power--which is in line with the power rating your amp says on the back, 130 watts into 4 ohms. (RMS power is the number we commonly use today). In the 70's many amps were in the 130 watt area.

130 watts, EQ'd properly, into a decent speaker, can be pretty loud!!

These were good amps. Not powerful by today's standards, but built solidly and reliably. And parts are still available.

4. And are you SURE it's a Mark III? The front panel doesn't look like any of the Mark III's on ebay. Can you read the model and serial number sticker on the back?

5. Bill is right on that one. but you can run the amp down to 2 ohms. That is one thing I love about most peavey bass stuff is that their alomst all rated down to 2 ohms. I ran this combo with my 1810 and was on gain levels 4 and .5 super loud. 1x18 1x15 2x10 ohhhhhh damn it was low end bliss and my band mates hated every minute of it. :D

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    No man, if its on the metal plate it has worn off (or a previous owner has sanded it off).