Need info on this "unnamed" Ibanez bass in local classifieds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leiria, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    So theres a fretless bass in my local classifieds. Seller only states its an Ibanez from the 70s. From what I searched I assume its a Musician bass. But I still need some info on it I couldnt find. Whats the neck like? Can I set the intonation so that its in tune when my finger is exactly on top of the marker? What are the controls and sound like?

Theres a video on one of these but the control layout is way different and all the pictures Ive seen are different too, so can anyone shed some light? Whats it worth?

And of course here are all the pictures he had. I can ask for more if you guys want.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You might want mention its an Ibanez in the title to get more responses.

Leiria likes this.
  3. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    How do I change it now?

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Doesn't the Edit button allow title changes?

Leiria likes this.
  5. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    Edit: nvm found it, it was under thread tools

6. The headstock looks like a '79 Ibáñez Musician. But not the body. Might be a reissue. I think the answer lies on the brass truss rod cover on the headstock. What does it say on it?

If it is a Musician, they had active and passive versions. They are very heavy though. Walnut. In the neighbourhood of 12-14 pounds.

byoung93888 and Leiria like this.
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  8. I bet it sounds great, but is heavy as hell.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    p31.jpg

MC940BK. And yes, the correct notes are right there below/above the dots on the fingerboard.

wintremute and Leiria like this.
  10. That's them alright, but those aren't the 70's version. What year catalog is that picture from?

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That picture is from the 1985 Ibanez electric guitars catalog.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm not entirely sure the OP's pictures show a black bass. It looks like it could be a dark brown. I also notice that the catalog pictures have a fully painted body, and the OP's shows the neck through. I think it may be a MC924DS. It is odd though, because it has about 27 fewer knobs and switches than most MC924 basses.

Leiria likes this.
  13. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    Thanks for the replies so far. Its not black. Its like the bass in these videos, but with less controls, the pickups seem different (closer to the ones on the catalogue than the video) black nut, rather than white and different color tuners (it honestly looked like the one I posted just lost the gold over time, you can still see traces of it on the tip of the heads). If it sounds anything like the ones in the video I love it! Still would like to know how the neck feels and what the bass is worth.

Edit:fixed some grammar

Edit 2:
    I ask this because I cant get the intonation on my current fretless to be anywhere near the lines and Ive run out of saddle movement

14. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Fretless intonation comes from fingers and ears, not dots and lines. The only thing your bridge needs to intonate on a fretless is the 12th fret harmonic.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  15. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    But if youre going to have them might as well have them be useful and not distracting

16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I used to play almost that same bass, exclusively, for around 6 years. The fingerboard dots are actually my favorite layout, very intuitive. Sold it ages ago, miss it almost daily...

Op- what's the asking price?

Leiria likes this.
  17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    its a mid 80s ibby musician for sure

Leiria likes this.
  18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Looks like an 84' MC940.
    2.jpg

wintremute, knumbskull and Leiria like this.
  19. Leiria

Leiria

May 21, 2015
    600€, and its a bit of a stretch to get there (2 hour drive). I could probably get him to lower it, its been up for sale for a really long time.
    Hows the neck and string spacing?
    I think youre right, the seller said 70s but from what Ive seen its most likely a mistake.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    johnson79 likes this.
  20. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Heavy yes, but the only walnut on a Musician bass is the two thin stringers running the length of the neck.
    The body core is mahogany, and the front & rear facings are dark-stained ash.