Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need info on upgrading

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by michb, Mar 17, 2004.

1. michb

michb

Mar 17, 2004
    lorain ohio
    I have a epiphone viola bass (wish it was a Hoffner). Any one who has ever owned one of these knows that at the 14 fret on the "A" string you get this god aweful tone. Bottom line, the pickup's are cheap, tone is not even across the strings (even after adjustments). I was told to replace them with 2 Seymour Duncan Mini Humbuckers...So I order them, today they came in and I'm thinking there is no way these are going to fit. My understanding that people have used the Mini's to replace the pickups on the Epiphone viola's in the past...Does anyone have any information on this. We start recording in two weeks and I need to address the sound issue asap.

Thanks,
    Michele B

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't know this will come to any use but who knows. I've got a Rogue VB-100 and have thought about doing a pup swap but I've ran it through lots of preamps, cabs, and amps, and, like any bass, the natural sound of the bass itself comes through. And it's a bit of a one trick pony, early Beatles and Rockabilly. So I decided not to jack with a pup swap and I'm just going to sell it.

But, the tone of the pups in the Rogue is pretty decent. I read an account of a guy who has Hofners and picked up a Rogue and was going to throw a set of Hofner pups he head in it but once he fired it up, he decided it wasn't necessary. If fact there was a set of Hofner pups on ebay and I didn't bid on them for that reason. So if you have access to one, I'd check it out. The Rogue's sell for about $100 less on ebay than the epiphones, so you could actually pocket some cash in the bargain instead of spending it.

3. michb

michb

Mar 17, 2004
    lorain ohio
    thanks for the info....as I had suspected the tabs on the up/us weren't long enough.....so back to square one...call has been made to Guitar World in TN they are researching to see what can be done....if not then it will be customized and if that can't be done...then I am looking at an Hoffner purchase in the very near future and look at it as an investment.

Being only 5' nothing, weighing in at a whole 102 lbs has made many basses off limits to me....not to mention, I'm a female most basses are build for 5'6" on up peeps. We little people dream of a day that they make a good bass with a great sound, that doesn't weigh a ton.
    Thanks again.

Mich

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, love the light weight of those things. Don't like that they're headstock heavy but the weight more than compensates for that. Hard to swap stuff out in the Beatle Basses and Ric stuff. But a real Hofner's are steep purchase for what you get in my book.

Good luck with it.

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    If you like fretless, check out Rick Turner's line of "Ampli-coustic" Renaissance bass guitars at http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/basses.html

Only 5.5 lbs!