1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need info please - want to buy an American Peavey Cirrus 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xandros, May 11, 2011.

1. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    I've been a long time admirer of the Peavey Cirrus basses... particularily the American ones. I came really close to buying a Peavey Grind because it was less expensive, then I noticed a Cirrus 5 string with gold hardware which leads me to believe it's an American made bass. Of course my inner paranoid voice is telling me to look into it just in case the gold hardware was added after the fact and it's not actually American made, but after comparing pictures online and the 'for sale' posting, it looks like a match. I have the serial number, but it has done me no good... I emailed Peavey support in the hopes that they could give me some information on the bass, but they were absolutely no help at all... they said that the serial number is no longer in their records and when I asked if there was any other way to research the serial number, their reply was 'I apologize but there isn't.' Wow what a difference between Fender and Peavey when researching serial numbers!
    I guess if it's not American made, then it is a BXP which will likely be marked on it somewhere

So to get to my point... if all you experts could please help me out, does the bass in the attached picture look like an American made Cirrus? I guess if it's not American made, then it is a BXP which will likely be marked on it somewhere... right?
    Does $850 sound like a fair price? Oh yeah... just to the right of the bridge is a small black dot... that is a switch that was installed to cut the battery in order to extend the battery life.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    I tried to delete the post, but can only find a way to edit

3. For $850 it better be MIA...brand new BXP's street price is generally $600-$650.

Your picture doesn't come up very large for me, nor very clear. But I've never seen a BXP with a black headstock; every one I've seen has the headstock finish matching the body.

Many BXP's were produced with black hardware, but I believe some of the later Chinese models were equipped with gold hardware. So no hard fast rule on hardware color.

I have a several-year old Indonesian model, and mine reads Cirrus-BXP towards the tip of the headstock, and "Handcrafted in Indonesia" + a serial number on the back of the headstock. I don't own a MIA Cirrus, but I would think that an American model would have some identification on the headstock as well.

Hope this helps...

4. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! That pic is the one from the listing, so unfortunately it is the largest that I can get.

That is some good information, certainly I know a little more now than I did before :) Nice to know about the chinese models with the gold hardware... I was told that there is no stamp on it indicating where it was made, so I may just have to rely on whether or not BXP is imprinted on it somewhere.

5. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That looks like a US model. It's not the gold hardware that gives it away, as some import models have gold hardware. It's the type of bridge. If the headstock doesn't say "BXP" on it, and the serial number is pressed INTO the wood (imports have the serial no. on a sticker), then it's a US model.

Re. the price - $850 is steep for a used US Cirrus 5. More than top dollar. The going rate is more in the $650-$700 range (with a HSC). However - a modified US Cirrus, like this one, is worth less. I would have serious reservations about buying a Cirrus that someone took a soldering iron to. You should consider that, were you to buy it, this modification will make it harder for you to sell the bass in the future. Unless this guy is willing to drop his price significantly, I wouldn't bother. US Cirrus 5's come up for sale all the time.

*Why anyone would install a switch to "extend battery life" is beyond me. Batteries are $1.50, and last several months.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    US Cirrus bridge - -3672206379718871.

Import Cirrus bridge - [​IMG]

8. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    I sure am glad I posted here first before proceeding with the purchase...
    While I'm personally ok with the fact it has a switch, I also don't want to be stuck with something that has a reduced resale value should I ever decide to sell it.
    The thing I like about this one in particular is, I don't see a lot of these basses close to where I live, plus this one is a 5 minute drive, so no shipping charges.
    Hopefully he'll understand the facts and will be willing to come way down in price!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    IME Cirrus's eat batteries, unless you unplug after each time you play. Sometimes you forget, especially if you play passives as well. They could have also done it to use as a mute, since this bass is only active.

I would never do this to my Cirrus though.

back the OP, very odd you had issues with Peavey Customer Service. When I bought my used MIA Cirrus a few years ago, I called Peavey, and they were able to give me every detail of the instrument. With only the small pic to see, my gut tells me that is a USA model. The bridge is one, plus "most" USA's have a carbon fiber veneer on the headstock. Makes it look like a simple black veneer from a distance. The serial number being stamped into the back of the headstock is another clear indication of it's USA status.

As far as price, that is solely your discretion, as you say that you are in a remote area that has limited choices.

Good luck!

10. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    All active basses do that. Plugging in the cord is the "switch" that turns the preamp on in an active bass. Even models that have a passive mode - if it's plugged in, the preamp will still be on and using the battery - even if it's set for passive operation.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1.

If someone has the bad habit of leaving an active bass plugged in after putting it away, installing a switch won't solve his problem.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I never picked up a US Cirrus that I didn't think was fantastic. If you like that US Cirrus 5, you'll like all US Cirrus 5's. Based on this, just shop ebay until one comes up in the $600-$700 price range. You won't have to wait long, and the selection will be excellent.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

pm sent

14. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    Thanks again everyone for all your help! I went out to check out the Cirrus that I have been eyeballing... The bass was in immacculate shape, barely a scratch on the thing... I ended up paying $600, plus an alto sax that I was never going to use. Did I spend too much? Yeah, likely... but I just couldn't help myself.
    Anyway, the bass plays like a dream... all that I could have ever hoped for and now I own an American Cirrus! I have a feeling that this might the beginning of a collection :)

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Easier to sell a bass than an alto --- doens't sound that bad a trade.

Collection --- bring it on.

16. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, very true... It was a Jupiter sax and from I've been told it's a low end sax...

@viper4000 - I was pretty surprised by the lack of info provided by Peavey... maybe I'll try giving them a call instead.

17. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
  18. Xandros

Xandros

May 11, 2011
    Awesome, joining now... thanks!

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Good Deal for you! I paid about $800-850 for each of my Cirrus 4 and 5 - What bargains! The fiver especially - looks like yours and is the best sounding and best playing bass I have every heard or tried. Simply incredible. I have the Elixir 5 string set on it and they really make it sing and are easy to play.