Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info. Quick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Hi all!

I'm busy typing up how i want my custom GIBSON GRABBER 3! to be... ;)

Right, so far I have :

Maple Body (same size as the standard Grabber 3)
    Natural varnish finish
    Bolt on 34" Maple neck with black headstock (standard shape)
    Brass or Bone nut
    Truss rod

What sort of fret board wood should I use? I'm looking for a warm, punchy tone, if that helps!!

Also, what are standard neck sizes?? :confused:
    I THINK I have a 34" on my bass just now, but I was thinking a bit smaller.. what size?? I'm thinking standard Fender p-bass size. And I also want 24 frets, instead of the 19 the Grabbers & most basses have...

Thanks! :D

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    34" is standard scale, and Fender P-basses all have 34" necks. The body wood you choose will have a bigger effect on the warmth and punchiness of your bass, but rosewood or pau ferro are two kinds to think of. Hope that helps.

3. Thanks diff! I've chosen a maple body, as I'm going to have a natural finish.

Are these woods expensive? How would Ebony work out?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Rosewood is an extremely common fingerboard wood, so it should be inexpensive. Pau ferro is fairly common as well, so it shouldn't be much more. Ebony is a great, dense fingerboard wood that I find very warm, but not all that punchy, and prices vary, but standard ebony is not exotic and therefore won't cost too much. I don't know how much a complete maple body would be though-I haven't seen too many of those.

5. The original G3's had two piece maple bodies, that is what I was meaning...
    OK, here's my checklist (email)

Hey there, I was forwarded to your email, as I am requesting a _quote_ on a Gibson Grabber 3 Custom. These stopped in production around the mid 80's, so I thought I'd see how much a brand new one would cost...

Here are my specs that I'd like you to pass onto the Gibson Shop:

2-piece Maple Body (same size as the standard Grabber 3)
    Natural varnish finish
    Bolt on 34" Maple neck with black headstock (standard shape)
    24 frets
    Ebony*** 24 fretted fingerboard
    Brass or Bone nut
    Truss rod
    Standard Gibson bass "clover" tuning pegs
    4 string Bad Ass 2 bridge or Gibson Standard G-3. (preferably the Bad Ass2! - I think the BA2 might be out of my price range)
    Purple Tortoise shell pick gaurd
    I believe Gibson used 3 single coil jazz type pickups on the Grabber 3, so if it's possible, those pickups.
    Standard G-3 preamp (i don't know much about the electronics)
    Dunlop Straplocks
    I've noticed that on some of the G3's, that there are holes in the body for the strings? Well, I'd rather those weren't there.
    The bridge cover would also be nice, but if you could make it more... Curved, streamlined, and cover the full bridge, like on the Fenders.
    D'Addario Slowound Soft strings.

On the head stock, I'd like to have, in gold writing:
    "Haigie Sig Grabber"
    Would a hardcase be included as an offer or anything? I think I might have past my price limit a bit.. hehe (£400~)

Yours faithfully

- Marty

Have I got everything I need? What fingerboard woods can you think of that would be mid-priced, warm/punchy?

Thanks again!
    :D

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Um, 400 francs? Doesn't that equal out to about $60 USD? Chances are getting a custom from Gibson will cost you quite a lot, and if you can't afford a BadAss II bridge, which are under a hundred bucks, then you probably can't afford a Gibson Custom. And forget about the headstock inlay..that'll probably cost a lot more than a BAII bridge. Also, you shouldn't need to ask for a truss rod; I would not even consider using a company if they weren't standard issue. And you forget one important thing; how many strings??? :p

7. I have 4 strings there!

400 POUNDS, which is about.. $500'ish US

I meant that I might not be able to afford to BA including the other things, and the inlay will be in gold pen, like the way they have Ephiphone at teh top of head stocks, but of course, that is all basic terms.. Would be cool tho :D

I sent the email, I hope to God its not gunna be like 1000! :(

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, good luck with your email, but I'm thinking thinking they'll send back a price tag 3 or 4 times your $500 limit; maybe more.

9. i know :(