Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WannaBmusician, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Hey everyone, i want to start playing bass but i do not know what is a good bass and amp. What do u guys think? I heard fender's are the best...is this true and how easy is it to learn on?? What is better 4 string 5 sting ect.. What are the extra strings for... Thanks

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Get a Squier Bass pak.

No, don't argue.

Go get one.

Then get a teacher.

3. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Nicely said.... BUT...

I'd get a teacher, ask him all your questions... THEN go get the bass pak (unless he advises something else). Who knows, he just may know of someone trying to get rid of a 3 month old bass pak!

4. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    there isn't something like the best bass or best amp.
    there even isn't something like a good bass/amp, it all depends. what seems like the perfect amp for me, might sound like crap for you, or vice versa. same for the bass. I searched the net, asked all my friends about advice, contacted all my friends friends and their relatives. visited all the bass shops in the neighbourhood, asked their for advice, rechecked the internet. FOR MONTHS before finaly buying the bass

5. It also depends on your budget...

There are millions of basses out there, but the better bass you get that YOU like that SUITS you the better! You will benifit from this - even if you decide to give up bass! E.g., say you decide to get a Fender MIJ, and you then decide you don't like it. It'll be easy enough to sell, and you'll get at least 3/4 of your money back!
    If you decide to keep it, you have a brilliant bass that will feel and sound good!

Forget about looks, and concentrate on sound and feel. I wouldn't buy a Squire, unless that's all that you can afford, as all the ones I have played... play like pants! Try it out though if you get a chance while your in the music store.
    Ask as many questions as you can and want!
    Who's sound do you like? What bassist's do you like the sound of? That way we can help you find something you like more accuratly.

Here are some bass suggestions to try out:
    Fender (MIJ) - Jazz/Perc
    Yahama - BB or RBX series
    Rondo SX basses

For amps:
    Peavey Microbass

That's all I have experience with, really for amps. I got one to start off with. It's decent and will get you through!

And welcome to TB! :D

6. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Teachers dont understand but I started with a sqiuer and its a good bass to start with. And in my opinion, fenders arent the best. But they re nyce sounding basses. I just dont like the looks and feel.

They are too pop as well. SOme are good though.