Need input on a nice new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Well...

When uncle Sam kicks me down my wee tax returns this year I will end up having approx. $800.00-$1000.00 after paying some misc. bills,etc.I would like to put this money to a really nice quality bass...something that looks beautiful and,more importantly,sounds and feels fantastic!

Starting next weekend I am going on the test drive mission.Have to hit some music stores in the sacramento area and also the new guitar center there.I can hear my girlfreind sighing in boredom already! haha :p

So far here are the basses I am contemplating:

MIA Fender Standard Jazz

Epiphone Jack Cassidy Signature Model

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4(I know a bit out of my budget but...)

Conklin Groove Tools 4 (just got the catalog today)

Any info/opinions/insights you all can shed on the subject will be taken into consideration. :)

Thanks in advace!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Go for the MIA Jazz or the Musicman. Either is more versatile than the Casady and both have higher resale values than the Groove Tools.

Some other 4-strings to consider in this price range:

1) MTD Beast or Grendel. I tried one of these today at Rudy's in NYC and was very impressed with their build quality, tone and lightness. There's a new Musicman model in addition to the Jazz configurations MTD currently offers. Not at all a cheap imitation of the US MTDs; well worth the $500-$800 stores are asking. Likely to hold value over time.

2) Pedulla Rapture. For some reason these are all over ebay these days for well under a grand. Basscentral and other stores blowing the out. They hold close to their value and the fit and finish of these are on par with Smith if not Sadowsky. (No flames, please.)

3) Zon Sonus 4/22. Depending on where you shop, these will just about fit your budget. Excellent quality graphite necked instruments, with an understated design and very clean humbucking electronics. Nice fretwork, too. Comes in a 1 or 2 pickup version.

4) Peavey Millenium or G series. Quality instruments for the price, with hardware and features found on instruments costing $500 more. The Millenium Plus models are beautiful. If you're a player rather than a collector, these would be worth checking out.

These are my current preferences; your mileage may vary. Spare your girlfriend and shop alone. :)
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Don't be afraid to check out a Carvin LB70. I bought a used one over the net for less than $500 (New ones start at around $660) and it plays as well and sounds as good as anything I've ever owned (Spector, Warwick, Tobias, what ever.) It was a smokin' deal. And I'm all about smokin' deals.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Also check out a Modulus Flea. Im not a single pickup guy, but wow, its like a Super-Musicman. You have to try one! You should be able to find one in the price range, new or used. Just make sure you try one! Love/hate necks, but i love them! They rule.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the Casady bass.Its great!If you like a Jazz bass youll love the RB-5.Ive not had a chance to play the others you list.Good luck!
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'd wait for Uncle Sam's next tax return, combine the money and get a Zon Sonus.

Will C.:cool:
  7. Check out G&L L-2000, it is truly a stingray hunter.......

.....if you groove it, they will come.......
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree that the G&L will probably be your best bet, if you can. Last weekend, while doing some bum-shopping, I came across the Jack Cassady. This was the first time I'd seen one up close, and HAD to try it, at least once...So I did.

Impressed. The only word to describe the experience! :D

Anyway, it did have a fair amount of tonal control, since there's a switch to adjust the "hotness" of the pickup. I really liked the bass. It sounded really nice, compared with the MIA Precision and MIA Jazz (the newest versions), which were also nice. The Cassady played very smoothly, which I wasn't expecting, which is why I was caught off-guard.

Any of these 4 basses will do you well, but you may want to take a particularly close look at the G&L, since it'll provide the most versatility.
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    G&L L1000 or L2000 is a good bet.. don't really got fo rthe 1500 and 2500 :) I hear that the double musicman isn't really great. But if you want a 5 stringer.. go look for a used Musicman Stingray 5, which I kinda doubt you would.. but hey u never know :)

Good luck
  10. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    All the basses you list are good ones. It all boils down to what feels and sounds good to YOU! But while you're at it, check out the Carvin LB-70 or LB-75. For the money, these things are hard to beat for playability and tone -- especially if you add the bridge humbucker ($20 extra) to compliment the neck single-coil. Note that all Carvin options are 1/2 price right now. Also, look for a used Warwick or Modulus. Best of luck!
  11. Or you could drop by my house on your way to Sac and check out my Rick 4001 that's fer sale... hmmm?

I wouldn't charge sales tax, heh heh.
  12. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since it sounds like you'll be going into music stores, some insights based on my experience are, whatever basses you try out, be on the lookout for salespersons who lead you to some Rolls Royce-type amplifier to try it out, unless, of course, you own a megabuck amp. Otherwise, make them let you try them out through an amp which is most similar to the one you plan to use. There aren't many basses which wouldn't sound at least decent through, say, an Eden, but there are a lot of basses which sound like caca back home through your Gorilla amp. Which segueways nicely into the next idea a you might consider - plopping some of that tax refund into more amp. I'll probably catch all hell for saying this, but I'd rather play a cheap bass through a good amp than the reverse.
    Finally, the end of the year is near and your bigger music stores will be starting to sweat over how much inventory they'll have left, since they have to pay tax on it. We're going into prime wheeling & dealing time. The Fender American Standard rated highly in Bass Player's Under $1000 Shootout as did the Carvin LB-70, which was mentioned in another reply. Let us know what you decide.
  14. stingraaaaay, stingray!

stingraaaaay, stingray!
  15. Got to agree with arther daily, my fellow countryman.
    For the money.....STINGRAY.
  16. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    The MIA Fender Jazz is always a good choice. And as someone said, the Jazz and the Carvin LB70 were highly rated in Bass Player's SHOOT OUT. In fact, the Carvin won all 3 top honors: "Best Buy", "Top Tone", and "Best of Show." But if buying mail order is a problem for you, you can't lose with the MIA Jazz.
  17. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    RickBass1 brings up a great point. Your entire bass rig is only as good as it's weakest link. As we all know, bass playing deals with some low frequencies and thus, moves large quantities of air. This requires power and the capabilities to handle that power.

As for a new bass, I think going the used route makes the most sense. For a bass in good condition, half of retail is a conservative rule of thumb. I would dial into the model(s) that you would buy, then scour different used outlets (want ads, music stores, ebay, etc..). You should be able to get a lot of bang for your buck that way. Of all the basses I've owned over the years, only one I bought was brand new, and I likely paid too much for it. Every used bass I bought then sold, I've done so for the same price.

Happy hunting,

18. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    all good choices, but if youre thinking about a stingray, why not get a warwick thumb bolt on. the slap sound is better (i think) and its more versatile in other areas.
  19. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    Go try a PEAVEY Millennium 5 string. The number of different sounds you can get is impressive and it looks like a $5K bass!

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player