Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need input on fender amer. stan p and thumb bo 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scuba steve, Jan 6, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well i finally talked my dad into getting me a new bass, and he said he'd spend some money since my band is getting pretty serious. im pretty sold on the fender american standard p bass, but the thumb bo 4 is another option i might could get.now i know theres a $400-500 difference between the fender and the thumb, but let me tell you whats hapnin. my band is a modern christian worship band. think of david crowder, chris tomlin, shane&shane, ect. i've always loved the sound and feel of a p bass, not to mention it's simplicity. but i've also heard great things about the thumb, and it's versatilty would be great, even though once i find a tone i like i usually stick with it, so i guess im a "one good tone for everything makes me happy" kind of guy. i play with my fingers 99% of the time with this band, but the bass will also be used in my other bands. these bands will remind you of thursday, circa survive, coheed&cambria, and mineral, so it must sound good in that situation also. now don't get me wrong, im not lookin for any body to tell me what to get, i just want some personal input on your experiences, and major differences tone and feel wise, so im not walking into the guitar shop "blind". thanks for ya'lls help.

2. Well, you´ve certainly picked two very different candidates. Have you ever played a Thumb? If not, go and try one. It´s a very different animal from a Precision and I think you will know instantly if it´s your thing or not, when you get a hold of one.

As for versatility... there are two kinds of versatility. You might call a bass versatile, if it has many ways to adjust tone: multiple pickups, active tone controls, etc. In that sense Presicion is probably the least versatile bass in the world.

But then there is the other kind: how well the basic sound of the bass fits in different mixes and situations. Presicion may only have one sound, but I think years have proven that one sound works in just about anything. And let´s not forget the human element: your playing and touch can make any bass versatile. But if you really want some tone shaping options, there are lots of options, for example American Deluxe Presicion has a extra pickup and 3-band active EQ.

It may sound I´m trying to steer you towards the P. And that may be partly true. You said you love the sound and feel of P. Given that Thumb sounds and feels very different, I find it hard to believe you would like it. But OTOH you just might, so again, try it yourself.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    from what i've heard, i do like the sound of a thumb, but i've never played one. guess i'll have lots of fun at gc or wherever i go to purcase one of the two. on another note, what can i expect tonewise from the new hh stingrays. could i get more p bassish tones with that extra pickup in the middle of the body?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very different amimals. The new HH stingrays kickass, they sound like a normal stingray with a little more booty. I guess you can call it more P bass tones.

5. bassboy7

bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Hello,
    I own the thumb bolt on 5, and have played the American FEnder stuff. I think that the thumb has an edge on slap (for my style...not necessarily yours), but I love the feel of the P-bass (my first). I would just go to GC and take 1 or the other out for 1 month, and then go back and play the other. Also when you are there, try A-B ing the basses quickly to see which you like. I am personally a fan of the thin and wide C neck basses (I love the Pedulla Rapture...). Both are great basses, so decide for yourself. 1 difference is that the FEnder comes with a HSC, while the Warwick Thumb BO is a gig bag. Up to you.
    Peace