Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need input on how to get more output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Oct 20, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I'm looking for a P/J set for a nice tight, punchy sound. The stock pickups in my P-Bass aren't as bright as I would like them to be. I'm told the Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound P/J combo would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Are you happy with the overall sound of your pups, and just want highs and output? If that is the case, add a J-Retro or a U-Retro preamp. If not...time to shop for new pups.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you are willing to go active, EMGs are awesome. They come ready to roll with everything you need. I installed a P pickup in 6 minutes with 4 solder points. PJ would be 6 solder points and $120. Plus, you can easily add a BTC preamp and you would have a sweet system in the bass for less than $200. They are super quiet when not used, but when thumped on, they kick HARD. They are very crisp, almost "Fake" sounding according to some people. But that "fake" tone is a really nice tone (aka, you may end up souning better than you actually are... like me). They have "Punchy" in buckets!!!

Seymour Duncans are punchy (the last PJ set I heard) and they need no batteries, but they are not as crisp and clear as EMG... but very freakin close. About the same price as the EMG, but no kits available.