need input on warwick stream jazzman and FNA jazzman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Oct 24, 2005.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    This past week one of the local dealers in town started to carry warwick basses. I've never shown any big interest in them before. But I picked up a corvette $$ this past week and it got my attention.

While I'm convinced that I love j-basses and it fits for many of my playing styles I'm wanting to start exploring some woody R&B tones. Kind of a woody, snappy, thumpy tone that could be used for R&B and funk (maybe even mowtown). I don't mind the big necks ... I have lanky fingers plus I find it helps to slow down the music to get a nice slow groove on the go. I also found that the bass had a natural compression and eveness when played. Is this the same across all warwicks?

I found that the $$ kept that same punch that I'm looking for. I also really liked that woody snap. I'm not sure if the double humbucker thing is for me though. So I've been looking at the FNA jazzman and and the streamer jazzman.

To any person who've played these basses on multiple occasions or own's one or both of these basses I'd love to hear some input (eg. your playing style, the bass' versatility, etc.)

2. The Jazzman circuit for the Corvette & Streamer versions is the same; it is a matter of body-style, and both come with flamed-maple tops. The Streamer body is licensed from Spector, whereas the Corvette body style is a Warwick original. It would be a matter of preferences/tastes as to which you would go with, though I suspect that someone favoring a more trad-looking axe might favor the Streamer variant.

My Jazzman's a Corvette limited edition from 2002 that plays like a dream, and gets any sound I think that I could want with a few knob tweaks. Yes, most Warwicks I've played do seem to have a bit of natural compression, even the passive models. If that's OK, then you've likely gotten a new obsession. I remember when the Warwick bug bit me in late '98, & have come to think of them as the Benz of production instruments.
  3. I have a fretless streamer jazzman, and boy does it thump. Switch that bucker to in series and it is a force to be reckoned with. You can switch the bucker to single coil too to get more clarity, so really you can get whatever sounds you need from it. And it looks the bomb! :bassist:
  4. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    As it has been said, woods and electronics are the same on those two models so just a mater of taste and in my opinion comfort.
    I own a streamer jazzman 5 and it is realy the most versatile bass I own, I play in a rock fusion band which can go from ska to metal, electro to ballads and my Warwick has succeeded in all I want during those two and a half past years.
    I also own a Corvette (Hotrod) and although it is a very good instrument, I prefer the comfort of my streamer body style which seems to feet my body perfectly with its concave back and arshed top.
    Guess you should try both with a strap and make your choice from your impressions.

Good luck

5. +1.

I had a choice between the 2 in the shop, and it came down to the way they felt on the strap (and the looks).

The streamer jazzman just hugs my body, where the corvette (FNA jazzman) feels more slab like. I do think the corvette has better upper fingerboard access though.
  6. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    plankspanker13 did you say that the streamer bodies were the same as spectors? I knew they looked similar but I never knew that they were the same. And it's good because I can't see the local store bringing in a streamer any time soon. If they are the same I've played many spectors and it should help me compare.

I actually liked the fit of the corvette body. However, I agree that it will come down to how it wears with a strap. So until then...
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Does any one know of any jazz, R&B, or funk albums (besides P.O.D.) where the bass player is making use of either of these two basses?
  8. I think I read somewhere that the guy from Therapy? plays a Streamer Jazzman. Could be wrong though, as I have no idea who Therapy? are...
  9. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Therapy is an Irish rock band.
  10. I play a Warwick Corvette Standard and had Warwick FNA Jazzman LTD2002. Both basses have excellent hi-notes access... both basses play like a dream, thanks to the smooth unfinished necks.

I recommend FNA Jazzman basses. They are about the most versatile sounding axes on the market imo. The combo of jazz and musicman pickups gives you a wide array of sounds... all usable sounds. Plus it can be switched to a passive bass; always a plus!
    The MM pickup solooed has an extremely agressive sound, especially when you play hard and with a pick. Perfect for heavy music.
  11. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003

I currently own two Warwicks and I live in St. John's, NL. I've played the $$ and they are nowhere near as nice as some of the Warwicks I have tried out.

I have a Thumb bolt-on 4 string and a Streamer LX 4 string. I've had one of them since 2002. I order my basses from away. If you're interested in any suggestions or if you'd like to try one out, let me know.

PM me on this or e-mail me at

12. I now have an FNA Jazzman 5-string fretless on order and I'm really anxious to get it. The one I tried out was set up so sweet! I'm going to have the guy who has that one do the setup on mine. Man! What a sound!!! :hyper:

13. Yes, my info was gained in conversation with the good folks at The Bass Place in Tempe, AZ. If you visit Warwick's website, you'll come to appreciate how they are slowly, but surely de-emphasizing the Streamer variants in favor of their own designs.

As for comparing vs a Spector, I find that my fretting hand can tell the difference. IMHO, the Warwick neck is Fender J-like; the Spector neck is perhaps a bit more P-like. My fretting hand can fly faster on necks with a W on the headstock, adjacent to angled tuners; your mileage may vary. Don't forget that on the majority of Spectors, you'll need a screwdriver to change a battery, wheras one can do it tools-free & nearly on-the-fly (one could drop out 8 bars of the song & do it; impossible on a bass needing a tool to open it).
    Of course, this tools-free feature is only on German Warwicks, not the RockBass versions...and RockBass doesn't make the Jazzman configuration anyway; I'm just edumacating folks here.