need Jazz bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheesesilk, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hi, I have a question
    I recently bought a korean spector bass and am not really satisfied. Not only do the E and A strings buzz (perhaps that's an easy fix) but it doesn't get the tone I want for walking jazz bass lines. Does anybody out there have a suggestion for a bass (also how to set it up) with that thick sound good for jazz lines. Also all the bass sounds on R&B tunes are really thick and smooth. Is a fender jazz/p bass a good choice? Would a compressor help? I still have a week to return the spector.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    For R&B a Precision might work better than a Jazz. Maybe strung with flats. I have both and, while I love my Jazz, I find myself playing the P more. That may change as the J is still a work in progress.
  3. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've got an MIA jazz with Dimarzios, TI Flats and a series/parallel switch that gets as smooth of a sound as you could hope for. As soon as I renew my supporting membership, it will be up for sale.

Glenn D.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would have the bass setup and then try out different strings.
  5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Check the link on the left when it shows PHAT 5.5 lbs. The Wendler bass may have what you're looking for in a walking bass / jazz sound. Check the sound samples. The website is if I remember correctly.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN