Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need lots of info!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MasterBasser7, May 20, 2002.

1. Ok, first off, I would like to say im a beginner, and quite inexperienced with equipment. I can however play pretty damn good, so take it easy :) Anyways, I have a smaller practice amp that ive been using, just for at home. I go to other people's houses and they have much larger amps. So i have experienced the improved sound. My question is, what is all this i hear about cabinets and heads and stuff like that? I know that they had a fairly large amp on the bottom, and i guess what would be called the "head" on top. But what does all this do, and if u have a larger amp, do u need a head? Im quite confused while reading these threads. Please give input.

2. The thing on the bottom, with the speakers, is the CABINET. It is simply a plywood box with speakers in it. It cannot, I repeat CANNOT make sound on its own. It needs a:

The thing on top is the HEAD or AMPLIFIER. This is what produces the power, loudness, and sound itself. It needs speakers or a CABINET to run through to make sound.

Hope this helps. There's probably someone here who can explain better.

3. Also, HEADS and CABINETS are rated in WATTS. This is simply a measure of how much power a HEAD can produce or how much power a CABINET can safely manage.

4. Thanks for the help..thats basically what i thought it all was, but reading all these threads starts to confuse you..:D But, isnt it true that you can get combo amps? Head and amp built in together? Which is cheaper? To get a combo or seperate? Also, which in your opinion would be more worth the money or produce the best sound?