1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need luthier near Carolina Piedmont to convert fretted P-Bass to fretless.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oci-One Kanubi, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Anywhere in the Carolinas, N. Georgia, E. Tennessee, or SW Virginia, but the closer to Winston-Salem, NC, the better.

I have a Fender USA P-Bass neck from which I would like to have the frets removed (also the dot markers, if feasible), the slots filled, and the fingerboard epoxied, up to the height of the former frets I imagine, though I will accept your advice on whether to raise the fingerboard, lower the nut, or leave everything more or less as is.

The neck is not on a bass at present, but I will decide which of my Fender basses I want it installed upon and bring that body to you along with this neck, so you can deliver it to me all set up and ready to play. I will also be open to any suggestions about replacing the pickup if you think a different pickup will help me get a more even response across all the strings (a weak D and weaker G has often been a problem for me with Fender basses).

If you do this kind of work, please send your contact info to my Talkbass inbox so we can discuss further details and agree upon a price.

Thanks for ready,
    -Richard, His Bassic Travesty

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No you don't want to apply enough epoxy to raise the fingerboard to the former fret height. All you want from the epoxy is enough of a coating to protect against string wear.

3. I'll accept your professional opinion on that -- you know better than I do. But I notice that the strings on my fretless Ibanez are way closer to the fingerboard than those on my fretted P-Basses. With the frets pulled and the slots filled, and just a thin coat of epoxy in the fingerboard, the strings will be much farther from the fingerboard than on my Ibanez. Should the nut slots be filed a little deeper and the bridge lowered after the fret removal?

My left hand has grown weak because it takes next to no pressure at all to finger a note on the fretless. Last month I was passing through southern Louisiana on my way from the East Coast to Arizona, and the bass player did not show up at the restaurant I visited for dinner, but they had a J-Bass (fretted), so I sat in for two sets, and man did I get muscle cramps in my left hand!

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Absolutely! You will need to true the fingerboard and lower the nut slots and bridge saddles.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018