Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need (magnetic) pup recommendations for Olympia ABG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Jan 21, 2005.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    ...I'm tired of trying to amplify this thing without feedback. I'm looking for a thin (top to bottom) pup that will basically sit on top of the top. I'd use a soundhole pup, but this instrument has an off-center soundhole. Any ideas?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What I did for my Tacoma was install a K&K Pure undersaddle transducer set with an endpin jack. I also have a offboard preamp.

Our very own (All Hail!) Bob Gollihur is the guy I went to for the K&K gear - he's a great guy and has wonderful prices and service. His website: http://www.urbbob.com/bassteng.html

3. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks.

I've heard good things about the K&K, but is this transducer less prone to feedback than the stock one? The last thing I read about it (now, that was a while back, and I haven't clicked on your link yet) suggested that it was better/warmer/more "acoustic" sounding, but didn't necessarily eliminate the feedback issues. Mind, I'm not trying to play this bass in a rock combo, but being able to use it for jazz gigs would be nice.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You already have a pickup in yours? I was thinking you didn't - I misread your question. My Tacoma started out as a pure acoustic.

OK, does your preamp have an adjustable notch filter? As I understand it, feedback isn't from the pickup, it's from the harmonic interaction between the sound chamber of the bass and the amplifier. Any kind of pickup can feed back on an ABG.

Can you replace the preamp module with a higher-end model with a notch filter? I'm willing to bet at least one notch filter equipped Fishman uses the same cutout as yours.

I'd be concerned that a magnetic pickup would take away all the ABG character of your bass...

(On edit) I just realized an external notch filter would do the same with no modification to your bass, if there is such a thing...

5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks again.I hadn't given any thought at all to using a pre with a notch filter. I knew feedback in an ABG came from the instrument/amp relationship, but for some reason, I've been cursing the pup all this time. I'll give your suggestion a try first.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, you weren't wrong, because any interaction between the instrument and the amp *has* to be mediated by the PU. So the PU does play a role. Some PUs *are* more prone to feedback than others, though feedback can occur with any type under the right (or, rather, wrong) circumstances.

I currently have two pickup systems in my ABG--a Headway saddle transducer and a K&K under-the-top type. The latter sounds more natural and generally better to me, but it seems, if anything, *more* prone to feedback. I think it's the combo of a big old vibrating top, bass frequencies, and a PU attached directly to that vibrating top. I tend to use the Headway for any live playing with any volume, though I can use the K&K if the volume is very low and I sit just the right way.

I think the notch filter is the best idea in your situation. Finding and installing a magnetic PU, since your soundhole isn't under the strings, would be a major hassle, I think.

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If you really want to install a magnetic p/u, I'd attach it right at the end of the neck, where it won't affect the vibration of the top too much.