Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need major help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aleyman, May 31, 2003.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Ok, we were planning a big guitar weekend. We are well into playing when i get a bad buzzing amp. I tighten my input (it helps most of the time) and now i get no input at all! We try all sorts of diffrent setups, and then we decide to open her up. We see the cables going to the input has litteraly fallen off. Any store for repair is closed. My friend could fix it with his sodering gun, but my mom own't let us because his parents arn't home. Is there any way we could fix this with at home materials? Electric tape, aluminum foil, etc?
    This is a Fender Squier P-Bass (Yeah...i know...)

2. Using a soldering iron is the best. Often rated at between 25 Watts and 40 Watts. I strongly suggest doing that.

If you have to do an emergency fix, strip the wires back and twist the copper braid to form a nice tight end. Then u can attach it using electrical tape but this may fall off, and wont last very long anyway.

:D:D

Merls

3. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Well, we convinced my mom for the soldering job. Didn't go great. THe knobs got switched, connections arn't great. When you move any either of the knobs from there positions it becomes a buzzing wreck. Hate to see it happen this way, it was my first bass, my parents bought it for me. Was a good ride.
    Anybody know where i can get a good price on a OLP MM3?

4. Ahh that just means its not wired up correctly. Now Notduane has posted up loads of wiring diagrams.... where is he!!

Dont palm it off just yet! Have another look, did you take note of where any wires came from etc?

Merls

5. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Oh i'm keeping it, of course. Now i'm not sure how well the Unsodering would work? it had unwired itself, so we really sodered it back on. Will it do much?
    Those diagrams would help very much. It's got two knobs, Fender Squire P-bass blah blah yeah.

thanks!

6. Fresh soldering should do it. If you have a Multimeter you can check for ground continuity as well...

Merls

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yours shouldn't be that much different than this one --

[​IMG]

8. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Oh thanks man, I'll get my friend and his soderer over here this weekend. We'll take a look at it, see how it works...
    I'll be sure to tell you how it goes.

9. I've noticed something from my time on these boards. It seems many people from the USA (I know that spointing the finger but it seems to be) use the term Sodering... Here in australia and many other places its Soldering with a L in it. *shrugs* Where did the L go? or perhaps come from then...

Merls

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

11. WHAT!?

Merls

12. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    David King (bass builder extraordinaire) has a nice Soldering 101 tutorial on his website (www.kingbass.com). I printed it out and look at it every time I use my soldering iron (my dad taught me this crap years ago, but...).

And a trick - especially in the tight confines of a bass cavity - a little modeling clay/play-doh can be very useful in holding wires in place (I never have enough hands when soldering).

And BTW Merls, Notduane is referring to "Hooked on Phonics," a pricey program that parents can buy to teach their kids to read when our American public education system lets them down. I think the 'l' just gets dropped due to ignorance.

13. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    I'm gonna let the blame go to my dyslexia :D
    Forgive me, i'm an american student :rolleyes: