Need money should I sell my rig and gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Sell it all baby

5 vote(s)
  2. Hope I get a tax refund !!!

2 vote(s)
  3. Keep it, never say die and hope for the best.

3 vote(s)
  4. Eat lots of carrots to save money because they are cheap

4 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I think my car took a complete digger. I dont have any $$$ and I need to maybe get the engine rebuilt. That and Im moving in 2 months and I need $2000 to move in etc.

Well should I sell the stuff and give up??!! Its the only thing of value I own and Im a single parent mith mouths to fill.

Eden Wt-400
    Eden 4-10 xlt
    Fender Jazz
    Modulus Q5

heck I CO-MOD this area and I dont know where to stick this!!!
  2. This should be in Misc. no?

I think you should sell the Modulus for now, and get one back later. At least with the sale of the Modulus, you'd have quite a few bucks for now, and just make the rest. Good luck though, that seems like a pretty hard situation.:meh:
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey Im moving my own thread!!
  4. that sucks man, and i have to say i really don't think u have a choice, it's a rough situation and you can always get more gear later, you can't always turn your life around
  5. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Well.... is there a chance you're gettin' a tax refund? Maybe if you could just keep one bass and get a small practice amp.
  6. Sell the Modulus and the 410XLT. You can easily get $1750 for those, and $2000 isn't out of the question. This is a sufficiently soft market that more of both will be available, and soon.

If that fails, you can always whore yourself and your children on the street. :eek: :D
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    First off, I say NEVER give up on bass ;)

If I was in the situation, I would sell the Eden amp and head, and the Modulus. Keep the jazz, and get a squier bp-15 for the time being (I got mine for $60;))

Another option is to keep the modulus. You won't get as much money for the jazz. But only do that if the modulus is THE bass for you.

And like I always say, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Hope you will get a tax refund, but don't count on it.

Sell a kidney? A lung? A testicle? ;)

I hope all will work out for ya man. You know where to come for support ;):)
  8. I agree. Last resort - keep your favourite bass and sell the rest when you have to.
  9. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    You could take up selling organs, nah that’s to messy, just start selling other people;) :D

Seriously though all I can really say about this is that family comes first. I'd sell it all to keep my kids fed and I wouldn't regret it for a second. Best of luck with this situation.
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If those are your only assets then I would sell to get you through. Especially since your a parent. I would only sell what I had to and try to keep some stuff. Once your through this rough spot though I would seriously be looking for a way better paying job too. I know that easier said than done. I really hope thing work out for you.
  11. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    sell your gear shouldn't even think twice about it or even post asking about first
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you can try and sell your family on ebay like that writer guy did! :p Just kidding. Yeah, I second the notion, sell the modulus, and see if you can make it with that. If not, next goes the amp. Old fenders are hard to come buy for a deal, so keep it. Less money keeping it up, no 9v batteries. DO NOT EAT OUT. That is where most of my money disappears, and adhere to a strict STRICT budget. Find a Save-A-Lot or aldi type grocery store and buy all store brand cheap food. See if you have an gear or accessories in your closet or something to sell. Mow lawns like in the old days. You handy with a screwdriver, hire yourself out as a handyman. There are plenty of ways to make honest money. Always keep it above the table or it will come and bite you in the butt! Good luck!:bassist: But rock on....
  13. Keep only your favourite bass.

If the Fender isnt old, then NP on getting it back, y'know?

You could pic up a practise amp to get you through. If the gear ain't old, you'll have NP getting it back

g'luck man :meh: :D
  14. I know this doesn't answer your question, but where are you moving to? You're not going to leave the nice "warm", winter vacation spot that is Minnesota, are you? You'll miss getting up on those nice February mornings when it's 15 below zero (maybe it's warmer down south in Rochester). Where else can you live where the term "Black Ice" is universally understood?;)

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.:( I remember when I was young and didn't much money. I briefly thought about selling my drum kit. I ended up not doing that but I also didn't have a dependant at that time. Take care of your family first.

Good luck and hang in there!
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good luck getting through the tight spot, Odie. I agree with the others that you should try to only sell what you need to get by. Obviously your kid comes first, but remember that it'll be tough to replace your gear on a limited budget. I assume you've considered options like taking an extra job / temp work / etc.?
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually it looks like after doing my taxes that I will be getting a few thousand back it taxes. Maybe do the H&R Block quick refund. Wait the 10 days or whatever and payoff the garage bill.

Roark Haver-Nope staying in Minnesota!! And no its not any warmer down here!!! Actually I moving out of the apt and into a house. So thats why the $$$ is more tight and will be for a little while.

New job- I wish, a major employer here just closed a brand new building and factory. Building was less than 3 years old. Ended up letting 1000 people go.
  17. Hey Odie, Good for you. Now you can spend quality time at Home Depot.
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    And don't forget. One project always leads to another
  19. Posted by Rick Blanc

I know, isn't that great! There's always an opportunity to go and get another "right tool for the job".