Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need more bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpikeBeBop, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SpikeBeBop

SpikeBeBop

Jan 18, 2005
    I'm playing a Fender J-Bass and I love it. I got it because I enjoy playing music with that style, the only problem is when I do play something where I need a deeper sound I don't have it. Is there any pedal I can use to fix my problem? Also what other pedals would be cool for Jazz/Blues/Bebop style music to have fun with? Thanks in advance.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Smash is right on in terms of your basic tone...but you may want to try an octave(down) pedal for a deeper sound. I find it works well with certain blues/jazz type tunes....but yes, the basic tone can be altered a bit with Smash's suggestions.

3. SpikeBeBop

SpikeBeBop

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome =). I figured there wouldn't be much for me to do. It's just kidna hard to stand out in a normal band when playing a J-Bass as you probally allready know. I just started playing bass not to long ago but I do also play Drums and Guitar, so it's kind of a perfect mix to play bass. Chords are easy and I know rythem so it's all about getting to be able to play and stand out more than just a normal bass player. Thanks guys.

4. If you are having trouble standing out in a band setting I would suggest rethinking your approach to amp eq. The mids in the 200-500hz range are critical to the "cut" of the bass. Start by not cutting the mids....maybe give a 3-5db boost at 250hz. I'm sure you will be heard.

5. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I'm using Ampwork everytime in rehearsal or on stage. As I said "everytime", coz you can't get a real bypass on this thing.
    In bypass mode, the sound is extreemly thin. I run the cable directly to the amp, and it sounds difference. So if you want to switch between the pure sound and the affected sound, you;ll need a A/B switch. so it's not a cheap option anymore :bawl:

Some amps selections can make your bass deeper such as the Valve, Jazz. Scooped. but when you want to switch to bypass, you'll need to unplug the cable and plug into the amp directly. you'll never get a pure bypass, like I mentioned before.