Need more bottom. What to replace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I have a GK 800RB and a GK 1x15 RBH. I love the rig but I'm not getting the bottom and the warmth I want. I seem to be getting more mids and highs and not much bottom.

I want to try swapping out the amp or the cab. my buddy works at a guitar store and he lets me try stuff out. last time i was there i saw some bag end, B (????), and agular cabs,some ashdown, agular, GK, and a few other heads. what else? Any ideas of what to try at the store and elswhere?
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I don't know much about your cab, but the 800RB only pushes 200 watts @ 8 ohms. I would try another head with more power first like a GK 1001RB-II. A 15" cab should give you plenty of bottom.

Update!! I just went to GK's site and noticed your cab only goes down to 50hz. That may part of your problem also. If you like the sound of a 15" I strongly suggest the Bergantino HT115. Kinda pricey new, but can be found for about $500 used. The BagEnd's are good also, but the Berg rules for 15's. If you can swing for the Berg cab and the GK 1001RB-II I'm sure you'll be very happy.
  3. If you don't mind the size, then a Bag End S15B-D just might be the ticket. 70 lbs. 8 ohms. 40 hz - 20 khz. Nice full range sound with port cover off. But it's a bulky SOB - that's basically it's only downside. But if you want big bottom, you need a big cab.

EDIT:, of course.
  4. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You're right, that is a great cab! But it is bulky.
  5. How do you know? Is this the Bag End cab you used to own?
  6. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I had the smaller Bag End 15", but I've tried the S15D-B and considered buying it several times and its size always kept me away from it. I totally agree it is an awesome cab, but trying to handle by yourself is not easy. Not because of the weight, but because of the size.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end also makes a "custom" 15 cabinet with the same dimensions as it's 2x10 - from what i hear it's awesome
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Of course, if you REALLY want bottom...dare I say it...FOLDED HORN W/18"!!! But then, you'd have NO highs out of that cab. You would, however, enjoy the unique experience of scraping the remains of your audience off the back wall with a spatula... ;)
  9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I have to disagree about needing a big cab for big bottom. I use EA VL208's and they have as much bottom as anything else I've played twice their size. I think the main problem he is having is that the cab he is presently using only goes to 50hz. Probably any quality cab with a lower frequency response will give him what he's looking for.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you want a powerful, thick, yet still very punchy tone check out the Schroeder 1210 (very compact 47 lb. cab as well).

The Schroeder website is here.
  11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The good thing about this cab in this case is that it's 4 ohms and the full 300 watts can be utilized from the 800RB. A very fine cab indeed!
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How much bottom do you need? A cab that goes to 50 Hz is fine for bass, the fundamental of the open A string is 55 Hz and most of what you hear from your bass is upper harmonics anyway. What most people hear as "bottom" is between 100 and 250 Hz.

Want bottom and warmth? Reduce the treble and upper mid EQ, boost bass and low mid EQ.
  13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    What you state is factually true, but it's been my experience that cabs that only go down to 50hz seem to be missing someting in my tone no matter what I did with my EQ. Probably not something the audience or anyone else can hear, but I sure can feel. Just my $.02!
  14. Ooops... the S15B-D is 40hz - 4khz. Though, a E-15X speaker (S15XD) in a S15B-D box would be 40hz - 20 khz.

15. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Of course a lot of this will depend on the type of music you play and the tone you are looking for. If you've got a friend who works in a music store, go try EVERYTHING; even stuff you don't think you'd like.

You might think about trying cabinets with 12" speakers. You might be surprised. Plenty of bottom yet, I think, a little punchier. I have a fondness for Aguilar stuff and I have 2 GS 112s (42 lbs. each) that I'm quite pleased with. Sounds good (IMO) and easy to move as well. The GS212 sounds good too and weighs 70 lbs.
  16. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm going to get some of the exact models he has and see what you guys think.
  17. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There is a bassist in a Memphis cover band with a ton of low end - more than just about anyone I have heard not using a PA.
    He uses 2 cabinets - one with a 21" speaker and one with 2 10's. He gets his incredible low end from the 21".

Here is one of the cabinets he uses:
    Its a PA Sub (21" speaker) with a built in crossover - He said he paid around $450 new.