1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Need more clarity out of my E String....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Dec 12, 2005.

1. I'm wondering if going lower or higher in gauge will give me a clearer sound. My current gauge is 105-45 and I'm wondering if going to 100-45 will give me a clearer E string. My hunch is that going to a lower gauge, rather then higher will do this. I have no problem with my A, D and G which of course are all smaller gauges and that's why I believe going lower will give a clearer sound.

Right now for me, my E string has always had a much less clearer/focused sound then the other A,D,G.
    let me know your thoughts.

I've read people say going higher in gauge will give a clearer sound but I'm a little hesitant.

Let me know your thoughts/experiences. Maybe guages isn't what I should be looking into. Help!!!

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Action is much more important than string gauge. try a slightly higher action