1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need more fretless *MWAH*

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Diplowmatt, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Diplowmatt

Diplowmatt

Jun 10, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Heya.

I'm currently playing a GWB1 5 string fretless through a SWR workingpro 400. I can't EQ worth a damn. I guess apart from technique and getting more mwah I'd have to be EQ'ed properly. I know *I think* one of the mainstays is scooping the mid's out. This things got a bass intinsifier button, aural enhancer, transparency, EFX blend. I've been goofing around with it for a bit and can't seem to get it EQ'ed right. Any suggestions on what the other settings should be at? Gain? Bass? Mid level? Treble?

2. Why are you scooping the mids? Are you going for an upright tone, or a Jaco tone? If you're going for an upright tone, then yes, but if your going for a Jaco tone, then no. IMO of course.

I don't know your amp, or what your trying to achieve yet, but to get more MWAH, I usually get little to no relief on the neck and set the action low. I also play up by the neck.

3. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Low action, straight neck, playing close to the neck and not mixing the pickups or coils of a pickup, solo one.
    Also, light touch. Let the note ring out, let it sing. You'll get it. Also, light touch on the left hand, and play with the meaty part of your finger for the mwah effect, not the tip.

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Mwah comes out better with mid heavy EQ. Set up your bass as described above. Set everything on your bass and amp flat. Shoud be 12 o'clock on the amp knobs. Turn off all the bells and whistles on the amp too. From there experiment with one parameter at a time until desired tone and mwah is achieved. Mwah is more technique thing but toneshaping helps emphasize it.