1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need more heft from my LMIII - Little Marcus 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bob atherton, May 15, 2019.

1. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    As Russell L has suggested a VT Bass pedal might give you what you're looking for. I use one occasionally when using my LMII.

2. I don't think so.

A few years ago I was using a LMIII and felt the same way you do. I bought an LMT800. It is a nice amp, but it didn't quite sound as good as the LMIII, and it didn't have that much extra 'oomph' either.

murphy likes this.
  3. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I have the little Marcus 250 and I really like it. To me it is very dark sounding with my p bass even with new strings so that may be something for you to consider. If you like a dark sounding tone, even darker than the LMIII. Get the Marcus 800.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    This

[​IMG]

svlilioukalani and CyberSnyder like this.
  5. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Some people think G&L Basses are ugly too...I mean....that headstock?

murphy and Luigir like this.
  6. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    I'm one of those which likes both yellow MarkBass cabs and pointy GL heads!

7. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    I did find the Big Bang to be very punchy, but it’s big hump in the high bass around 150Hz made my upright howl like a pig on the Eb on the the G string. Much prefer the LMT800 (2016 voicing, made in Indonesia) for doubling.

For electric bass, though, you would probably LOVE the Big Bang if you want more punch.

8. bob atherton

bob atherton

Mar 8, 2005
    My cabs are...
    Ninja 122, 102 HF, 121 H, 2 x NY 121.
    Pedals are Broughton H/LP filter, MB Compressore , Aguilar Tone Hammer

I guess because back in the day, I'm now 62 BTW, my rig was Hiwatt DR100 & Hiwatt 2x15 anolgside HH 100 head with 2x 4x12 cabs. Rickenbacker 4001 used in 'Ricosound' stereo mode. That sounded pretty big, but we did have a roadie. I now just have me with a slightly dodgy back...!

Zbysek likes this.
  9. And that's exactly what I ended up with (well, I borrowed one, then bought the D800+ version, with the adjustable HPF and semiparametric mids) after not finding the LMT800 enough of a step up from the LMIII, and not having quite the same sound either.
    The D800+ with the voicing control all the way off (anticlockwise) can get close to a LMIII with its filters off. Turn up the voicing to get into more 'old school' territory, and balance the HPF with the bass EQ control to dial in the right amount of low end without getting boomy... Fantastic amplifier.

Dan Robbins and murphy like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd suggest you try an aguilar Tonehammer amp.
    I used to own a Tonehammer and a Little Mark.

The Tonehammer was my choice for the sounds you describe.
    I found that the Mark is quite dry and punchy in the bass registers while the Tonehammer rather sits in the lower mids. A well rounded oldschool vibe is very easy to get from a Tonehammer and IMO quite hard to milk from a markbass.

cheechi likes this.
  11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    It's not clear what you mean by "scale of sound"...is it the colour of the sound? or is it the volume/headroom/power?

My thinking is simple: since you like the sound of the Ashdown ABM gear, I would get Ashdown ABM head, if I were you.

I don't think another MB head is an answer...

mcnach likes this.
  12. OP, I see you have an Aguilar Tone Hammer (pre-amp, I would assume). Borrowing from el murdoque, why not find/try flat settings on the LMIII and see if you can't get the tone you want out of the Tone Hammer? Or go into the Effects in and by-pass the eq section of the Little Mark?

13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Please note that FX loop on LMIII is pre EQ....so you will not by-pass the EQ by going into FX return...

murphy, mcnach and eriky4003 like this.
  14. The low knob centers at 40hz; using the HPF basically makes that knob useless, depending where you set the HPF threshold. I set low at 9:00.

The VPF and the low mid knobs are only separate by 20hz so to me the VPF has only one use; if you have a song or section that needs the really severely scooped sound you can set your EQ however you like and then just turn that VPF from 0 to 10 for that song. I set low mids at 1:00 and VPF to 0.

Mark cabs are kind of upper mid honky so while I usually like a bit more upper mids than most it's just too much, the high mid knob is there solely to tame the sound of the cabs. Since I don't use a Mark cab, I set mine at 2:00. With a Mark cab I'd set it at 11:00, I do still like my mids.

The high knob doesn't really do much on its own unless you're one that really likes the VPF knob. It does add some on the top if you have the VPF up in its higher range. I set mine at 2:00.

That's the whole EQ section for the LM series, depending how you look at it they made some really terrible decisions where to put the centers, or they chose the centers to make up for choices that would end up being worse.

The VLE is interesting, with Mark cabs it can add some pleasant roundness to the lower mids but don't give it much more than noon on Mark cabs, or maybe 2-3:00 on a more neutral sounding, and a bit less for less neutral non Mark cabs I have used. (most Neo cabs it sounds great around 1:00 for instance).

The Compressore is a great complement to the LMT800 for instance, if you like the gain at or near it's highest range on the Compressore and less gain on the amp head, and don't prefer a super squashy compressed sound. I like slow attack, med-fast release, just to help the fullest part of the note sustain more and not kill your dynamics, but I really like the sound of the gain from the Compressore into most amp heads I use.

The preamp section of any of the TH amps is better than the TH pedal. I tried really hard to not admit this is true, but basically the TH pedal is amazing until you play through a TH head and then the pedal feels like you wasted money on it. After playing a TH head, sounds that I liked with the TH pedal into any of my ss amps gave me 'I like it but' sounds, so finally I sold it and put that towards a TH500. Great investment even though I really didn't need another amp. Plus, the TH amps are not one trick ponies they can sound both very old and very new school, while the Mark EQ centers make it really struggle with certain sounds.

I assume though that you are not in the US, can you get Aguilar amps to test them out there?

Dan Robbins likes this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    40Hz is just the center frequency. When one turns the knob clockwise, frequencies below and ABOVE 40Hz are boosted as well. I saw a graph showing the effect of the Low knob on LMIII. From that, it was apparent that much higher frequencies are boosted by the Low knob. I don't remember it precisely but probably over 100Hz or may be 200Hz...

It can be combined with HPF very well. For example, if you turn Low knob clockwise and set HPF corner frequency at 60Hz, you effectively create a bump slightly above this frequency...

Sparky Mark and mcnach like this.
  16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    The VPF acts very differently and affects a very different range than any of the EQ knobs.

The VLE is just a progressive high-end roll-off. If you hear that as "rounding" ... cool.

I'm a big Mesa fan, bought the D-800 and it became one of the few amps I've sold, while I still keep several MarkBass amps in the gear closet. The D-800 is dark, dry and without character. Really couldn't stand the lack of 1/4" speaker out option. It's Speak-On only, and I detest Speak-On.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  17. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Yeah...also really wanted to LOVE my
    D-800+. Tried and tried...Sold it eventually...I have a WD-800 on the way; hopefully that tube preamp will give it some character and brightness. My favorite class D amp is still the 2016 Markbass Tube 800, by a longshot...so much clarity AND character.

cheechi, StayLow and Zbysek like this.
  18. Not really.
    The bass may be centered at 40Hz but it affects a relatively broad range of frequencies. There's a neat trick I 'discovered' after buying the D800+ where I would set the HPF a little higher than I normally would (I can't say what frequency exactly as there are no numbers around it) and then turn up the bass EQ knob higher than normal, to compensate. The result is that the as the bass EQ lifts a broad range of frequencies, the HPF trims the bassiest frequencies, and I can get a really nice and fat low end that retains a great deal of definition, in a way that I could not get with the bass EQ knob on its own.
    I since learnt that my 'discovery' is a well known effect that lots of people use. Ah well :roflmao:

el murdoque, murphy and Zbysek like this.
  19. Exactly this is what I was referring to, but Zbysek explained it a bit better :)

Zbysek likes this.
  20. The D800 is a little too dark for my liking too. I borrowed one and I liked a lot about it but it just felt too dark, and the treble control just can't fix that. Months later I tried the D800+ and I fell in love. It includes a Bright switch that I leave permanently on and makes it sound teh way I wish the D800 had. Add the semiparametric mids and the HPF and it's one versatile beast.

I don't want 1/4" connectors on high power amplifiers, myself. ;) What don't you like about Speak-On connectors? They're pretty solid and lock, which I think is a very good idea. That, and the fact that you won't get someone using an instrument cable by mistake.

murphy and Dan Robbins like this.