1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need more low mids on my jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hensonbass, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I want to beef up my low mid frequencies and bring down the glassy highs on my 5-str. jazz bass. I currently have Bartolini humbuckers in it now. I'm thinking about Duncan Quarter Pounders or some Dimarzios.

Suggestions?

2. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    Are you sure swapping pickups is necessary? Perhaps you can get there with different strings.

3. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You might be right.

4. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Flats?

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Perhaps you can get there by simply EQing your amp to taste..

6. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Maybe try some DR nickel plated Lo-Riders? I had a set on my P-bass and I had even MORE low-mids than usual.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Bingo. Barts are nice wide range pickups.

Just turn up the lower bass on the amp and turn down the treble. That's what the tone controls are for.

Quarter Pounders would give you a lot of harsh upper mids.

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    turn low mids up on amp? EQ pedal?

9. Series parallel switch?

10. The amp is where you need to fix this most likely, not pickups. Especially if you have some Barts in there.

11. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    +1. I have these on my Sandberg Jazz. Pickup balance nearly centered, slightly in favour of the bridge PU. Not too bright out of the box, and very nice after just a few hours of playing.

The Rotosound 66 steel RWs I used before were even more gnarly after they lost their zing, but these "Tite Fite" (WTH?) Lo-Riders get close enough and I get a better setup for my bass with these. Plus I hope they won't eat my frets as fast as the Rotos did. Quite expensive, though.

12. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    eq
    series switch
    strings (flats!)
    Nordstrand NJ5SE's (still will have glassy highs, but they're great for low mids)

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

Cut the treble, boost the bass and mids and switch to nickel strings; I'm a fan of DR Nickel Lo Riders but I've heard great things about Dunlop's nickel strings.. Barts will also have more mids than QPs (own a pair) or DiMarzios; if you want MORE mids :)eek:) then do all these and look at Delanos.

14. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Get a P bass !

:bag:

15. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    +100

16. I believe we are mostly in agreement that the amp is where the EQ is at. If you still somehow can't get what you want, try wiring it in series, and it might get a bit punchier; I'm no scientist, but I do believe that the "low mids" you speak of reside in the punchiness area. If that still doesn't work for you, then get an EQ pedal. It's a junk load cheaper than replacing the pickups, and you can cut the specific highs you want, and boost the mids you want at the same time.

17. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Series parallel.
    Cheap, easy to do, adds low mids.

18. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Jretro drop in Preamp. That will fix ya up.

19. That's where I'd begin. $25 on the right strings can make a world of difference and save you spending a lot of money replacing some good pickups.

20. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks everyone!

I think that I was hitting a brick wall with my Streamliner amp in the sense that I can't focus in on the freq range I need to compensate for the lack of low mids on this bass so I am looking for an alternative amp now.

I'm going to try some DR low riders...however are they like the DR FatBeams? I've tried those and they did sound better to me than other nickel wounds.