Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need more Power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, May 2, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, my band is picking up steam and we are getting ready to start playing out. We play Classic/Modern rock covers. :hyper: However, I am afraid that my trusty Hartke 5000 may not cut it, though. :( I am rehearsing with a smiley face EQ in an unfinished basement, and the rest of the band loves the groove I am putting out with that setting. Problem is, I have the vol at 5, tube pre on 6, SS pre on 5, and I am barely cutting through. Unfortunately, buying a new amp is not an option right now.

We have Drums, 2 guitarists w half stacks, Keys, 4 vocalists and a 1000 watt PA w 2 15" 2 way Peavey cabs. I am playing thru the band's Peavey 115 and 210 bi amped. Here are my options for boosting volume as I see it.

1) Add my SWR WM 2x10 and WM115. This would give me about 140 more watts through 4 cabs, 4 ohms on each side.

2) The guitarist has an old Peavey 2x200 watt power amp. I could XLR out of the Hartke into the Peavey and run two cabs off of the Peavey. This would give me about 340 more watts.

3) I could flatten or frown the EQ.

4) Try to talk the band into buying a Powered Sub. We have a Yamaha 5000 powered mixer which has a sub out.

Ideas?

2. I like the peavey power amp and 2 cabs idea. You can keep your sound, you'll just have more of it.

3. Dont drop alot of cash til ya play out and see how little stage volume you will really need, run direct out to the board, let the sound guy handle your out front and monitor sound and watch how fast he tells the guitar players to turn down! Hahaha! You will have to re-tweak your EQ, (in my case I run my direct-out PRE EQ anyhow, so any EQing I do is strictly for my ears only). Try it first and then decide. But then..we ALWAYS can use more power...haha!

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, good advice by Spanky. Take the extra gear (either the SWR's or Peavey's or both) to the first gig, and see what works and what doesn't. Sometimes even a hundred watts more or less can make the difference between being heard and being drowned out. Ultimately you may run into an issue of the volume of gear for transportation, but until then it's fun (and helpful) to try different things. If a hundred extra watts ends up doing it for you, and you can get that by simply adding an extension cab, that might be a good solution. On the other hand, if you're operating on the hairy edge, then when you get outdoors you're going to be screaming for a few hundred extra watts, and in that case you might need to haul the extra gear anyway. :)

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    pumping the mids usually helps a lot to cut through. but it may not be your sound. I say, bring every bit of gear you may need, and try it all, to find what really does the job.

6. I have a Hartke 5000 and have had plenty of volume IF I run both sides into 4 ohms.

I've run both sides into an 8 ohm load and done quite well, also, but I don't set the EQ in a "smiley-face" curve, I set it relatively flat. My personal taste is that the smiley-face is too boomy for live situations.

Of course, speaker sensitivity has a great deal to do with it too. When running biamped, I use an old 2x15 Sunn cab loaded with JBL 2226's for the bottom, and a 4x12 for the highs.

7. More speaker space= more sound.

If you need more volume, you're probably (I'm totally guessing) pushing 2 10s + 15 a bit more than they want to be pushed. I think 15's have a great sound for the "smiley face" EQ, but there's not as much air being pushed by a 15 than by a 4x10.

Loud is a relative term.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The "Sub Out" you speak of on your board is not for a sub-woofer. The "sub out" is for hooking up additional main speakers. The "mono out" is what you would use for a sub-woofer output.

When you use any of the output's are your board (mono -out, sub-out, and aux-send) they will require the need for a power amp. Only the 2 main output jacks recieve power from your board. The fact that you mentioned "powered sub" leads me to beleive that you already new this. Just thought I would throw it in.

9. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    No need for more power with that Hartke. It's all about set up. If you're talking about live situations, you really only need your amp to hear yourself over the drums and guitar amps on stage. It's best to EQ it to get those "piano tones" while on stage. You will then understand the great importance of a good soundman. The bass tones will be adjusted in the main mix for the best sound for that particular system you're band is playing through. **This, of course, is for larger venues - not as much for small clubs. This info was given to me by several top notch soundmen. For the smaller clubs, you WILL rely more on your amp and cabinets (common sense, duh). In the mean time, during rehearsals, try playing around with your EQ some to see what settings allow you to cut through the mix. *keep in mind that it could sound totally different through a soundsystem, so don't worry about that tone you get with the smiley face EQ that you like. A good soundman can reproduce that through the system.
    just my $0.02 :bassist: