Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need more power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I have a Peavey 115 Combo with a 210 Peavey cab. When I turn up the 15 it starts to make farty sounds. What should I do? Trade them in get a 410 cab and a seperate amp, give me some ideas. Thanks for any help. :)

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That might have to do with your gain settings and EQ (on amp and on bass). Maybe try a lower gain and a higher master. I'd test out all different mixes before committing to new equipment. Would there be any reason to suspect your 15 speaker is messed up?

3. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I bought the 15 combo used, maybe its just me I just started playing the bass 2 months ago. I am going to ask my bass teacher about it. This weekend I am going to play with the setting. Right now I have the pre-gain turned to about 11o'clock and the master to about the same or less. Know I have my EQ on the amp with the lows boosted and the same on the Bass EQ. Should I turn down the lows on both. Is there some kind of DVD or something talking about this? Sorry for going on about this I just would like some help. :) :help: Thanks for replying to this thread.

4. Ah the old "speaker farting because the lows are boosted" syndrome.

Keep the lows flat, the mids are what cuts through the mix. Playing at home, the lows may sound nice, but playing out, lows will be muddy and you'll be losing all your power to those lows. Dial the lows back for a better stage sound. If you think your sound doesn't sound full without the lows, try keeping the highs flat or slightly cut too.