Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need More Tension

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Denimhorn, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Denimhorn

Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    I am the proud owner of a new Pedulla Rapture P2 (5 string)and had a question i was looking for input on.

I play in a rock band - mostly finger style - and we tune down a 1/2 step. I have noticed that this has made the G string pretty loose and also causes some fret buzz. Its just not tight enough for like 1/16th notes with the finger playing. I like some tension on there to dig in and play aggresively. I dont think it needs to be setup - it came directly from Pedulla and was made for my order like 1 month ago - in other words...it hasnt been abused by people playing it. The string gauges on the factory Pedualla strings are 128, 100, 080, 065 045. I tried changing it out to a different string - Blue Steels - thinking that might help...but its still pretty loose. What can i do to tighten the tension up on the strings? Do i need to have my trussrod adjusted? I dont want to screw that up on my new baby!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The easiest thing to try would be simply to go to heavier strings, like .050, .070, .090, .110, .135 or something. This would mean more tension on the neck and probably change the intonation, so if you're not comfortable with doing setups yourself, you might want to take it to somebody to have it set it up again. You might need to have the nut recut too.

3. Denimhorn

Denimhorn

Nov 25, 2002
    thanks richard...yeah i have a person who sets up my stuff...but i got a show next week and i need to practice so i cant turn it in. Maybe i will try a thicker gauge on the d and g strings.

4. I wouldn't recomend swapping only 2 of the strings for thicker strings. I did this on my old peavey grind, and warped the neck. Uneven tension i guess. Obviously your pedulla has a better quality neck, but I would suggest changing all the strings to a thicker guage. Besides that I think having different tension between strings makes it harder to play. That's just me.

5. I'd also recommend replacing all the strings rather than just 2, especially since the highest strings actually have the most tension.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Which note do you need to play that you can't find a standard-tuned 5? I simply wouldn't downtume 1/2 a step..leave it as is, with proper tension. Especially on a five you can still play everything, you got all the notes you need. I never downtune with guitarist, and God help him if he doesn't roll off bass on his rig :)