need more volume from my ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rorykins, Jan 23, 2009.

1. hey all,
    I recently bought a ashdown MAG evo II 2x10 combo.
    i really like it, the tone is great...but i played a gig at a bar last night and i couldn't hear myself...i was maxed out in volume. it was a great sound guy i've worked with before, and a room i've played in lots too.

so i'm just wondering why i had some sound issues with the amp?
    is 2x10 not as loud as 1x15?
    do i have to angle it up at me?
    or maybe it was projecting? did i kill the people in the front row with bass cause i couldnt hear myself?

anyone have an idea?

2. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    Id say get it off the ground more.
    Either raising it up or even better another cab.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Several things going on there. A 210 with 300W is not really going to power through a loud band mix or loud crowd noise unless the speakers/cab are super efficient (which may not be the case here) and/or you carefully sculpt the EQ to project mostly mids and highs, not much lows. And like HH said, getting it up closer to your ears will help you hear it better, rather than just pumping sound into your calves.

To get louder, do one or more of the following:
    -get it closer to your ears.
    -boost the mids, cut the lows (seriously, this makes a huge difference).
    -add a second cab, as increasing the speaker surface area will get you more loudness without needing more wattage.
    -use a compressor, dialed to keep your signal's average levels closer to the peak level.

4. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    buy an ampeg...problem solved

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I just got one recently, too! Blue speaker cones, w00t! I thought mine was kind of quiet, too, until I turned on the onboard compressor. It suddenly got a lot louder. You might want to try fiddling with that.
    I've never been one to use much compression, I found that I would beat my main pluckin' finger to death trying to get the attack I'm used to hearing. But with this amp I'll do it to get the extra volume.
    I'm taking it to the gig tonight, along with a Hartke 4x10 cab. Should do the trick.

6. ok, a few questions.

1)
    this is rocking, bluesy, funky, reggae, soul, rock. i need big bottom cause thats the "tone" im going for, "vintagey" with some bite. will boosting the mids give me that tone and help like you say?

2)
    will angling it up to me be closer to getting it off the floor? wont i lose bottom end if i raise it up?

3) im thinking my ashdown might be 300 watts WITH the extension cab...(that i dont have)...so i think i was only pushing half.? does that make sense?

I use the onboard compression---but only a bit...maybe i should experiment with it...that was my first time even using it with a band.

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    You might not need 48 10" speakers to be heard, but 2 in my opinion is a practice amp. I wouldn't show up for a gunfight of any kind without at least 4 rounds in the chamber. BOB

8. Im not gonna need an SVT for this stuff. its loud but i've been gigging with my musicman 65 for 7 or so years, with PA support and its been great. i think i just needed to angle it and fiddle with the compresson, and eq...im still getting used to it.

9. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    48 10's to be heard WHOA! :smug:
    ----------------------------------

to the OP, yes you are not using the full 307 watts. Mark Gooday told me (in an email) that the Mag 300 runs 200w @ 8ohm and I believe that is what you are pushing.

I have a MAG 300 head too but I have (2) of the ABM 210T cabs, and the 2nd cab does make a difference. But also on that head make sure you use the VU meter and so that teh needle is near the end of the the black near ther red, you will notice it will be alot louder.

Also FWIW I have a MAG 600 head and using it with (1) 210T its not much louder the secret is adding more cone area on your combo IMO.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Add more speakers. The lower impedance will give you an extra 100W from that combo plus the extra drivers will makes those watts go much farther.

If you want more bottom try adding an 8 ohm 1x15, 1x12, or 2x12. If you want the same sound, just more of it, then add another 8 ohm 2x10 or 4x10.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    first order of business...
    turn the master volume all the way up, and turn the gain all the way down. the gain is now your volume knob. you're running the power section all out so you'll get the most clean headroom and power in this configuration.
    secondly, find a way to aim the speakers at your head.
    also, get another cab
    more speakers = more volume.
    but you may not need more volume, you may just need to have some of it flying at your head.
    YMMV

12. heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Jan 24, 2008
    There is no gain on this amp :ninja:

13. He meant input... I think.

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Well yeah, If a guy has to pull a number out of his hat to start I think the minimum to be heard well is 48. Of course 96 would be better, wouldn't it? :hyper:

YES rbonner is DRUNK WITH POWER. That doesn't mean I can't suggest a nice number for somebody who isn't looking to shake the world off its axis.

Unless you are playing at the Continental Tea Room, 4 - 10" speakers and 100 tube/400 ss rated watts are the minimum power required to be considered serious, even with PA support. Anything else is a practice amp, IMNHO. BOB

15. PatSht

PatSht

Aug 8, 2007
    I agree, i have one of these and it took me quite a while to set it how i like it. Make sure the pre amp is way up for the best fullest, thickest, etc. sound. keep it there, and use the regular volume for adjustments.

16. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Hell yeah! I like your thinking, mister! :bassist:til they can hear you in the next county!

17. thanks for the help.
    i just played it and checked my settings, the VU input level meter was hardly jumping...i think my bass isnt putting out enough output. something i diddnt look at last night. im sure if i got that level up there my tone and volume would be much louder...
    i will however look at raising it and for larger gigs getting the extension cab.

18. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    There ya go... Have a nice day. BOB

19. I'd get an extension cab and see how you go. More speaker surface area will give you more volume and more pants flappin goodness!

20. XavierG

XavierG In Memoriam

You are plugged in correctly, right? That is... ... "high" input being where you plug in a passive bass and "low", an active bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021