1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need more volume! (Walkabout related)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paytojt, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

Tags:
  1. paytojt

paytojt Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Hey everybody. I have a Walkabout Scout 15 and Mesa powerhouse 112 that's being buried by 2 412 Marshalls and a heavy handed drummer. I am looking at DIY options and want to not spend a fortune (otherwise I'd just buy fearless or something). All my options come from speakerhardware.com and include fearful, the 2 Chris Cole designs, and the smart 410 contributed by Duke LeJeune. I love the walkabout, but am thinking I may need to go to a higher wattage amp like tone hammer or darkglass. Opinions?

Stumbo likes this.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think you are on the right track by thinking about new cabs before replacing the amp. Considering what you are competing with, you are likely going to have to go big. It depends a lot on what type of sound you are going for. If you want deep, clear, punchy bass, you will need to pony up. There are basically three factors you have to decide on: cost, weight/technology, and volume. You already stated you have very little to spend and you need a lot of volume, so I assume you will have to look at older systems that may be very heavy and not have all the modern features you want, but will be very loud for the cost. I used to run Bag-End S15s. These were good cabs in that they got loud quickly due to their high efficiency. They had solid low-mid response, but lacked deep low end. That sound works well in a heavy rock situation IMO. (Plenty of room for the kick to come through.) There are other good choices among cabs that emphasis the low-mids over deep bass. Have you looked through the classifieds? I bet you can find a good deal there.

Bassmec likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Look at this logically, you are competing, instead of working with but that ain’t your fault, a pair of 4x12 cabinets. You’re using a 1x12 and a 1x15. You have about half the cone area of one of your guitar players. You will never come close to winning. You need more speaker area if you wish to compete.

4. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Yep, more speaker. With a bigger secondary cab, you will still only be putting 150 watts into it, though, so you don't need huge power handling. I think if you have any hope of competing with what you have it probably needs to be the biggest 8 ohm cabinet you can build from Bill Fitzmaurice. Nothing else is likely to pull enough sound out of that much power.

The bass equivalent of a 100 watt 412 guitar amp is probably a biamped four cab 1500 watt system. I mean half stacks are freaking ridiculous to begin with.

paytojt and Stumbo like this.
  5. paytojt

Apr 1, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Guess i could ask them to turn down... HAHAHAHA

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware rep.
    Aren't we all! :)

I suggest two fEarful 151566 and Mesa D800+.

And earplugs! :thumbsup:

Mvilmany, Pbassmanca, lomo and 3 others like this.
  7. paytojt

Apr 1, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    2 1515/6's? Wow! D800+ wasn't for me. Thinking Tone Hammer or Darkglass 900 if I need to change amps. Hoping more speakers will do it.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Ha, right. I guess they're not ready yet for the tough love realization that there's no more sure visual indicator that a band is going to sound terrible than one or more half stacks flat on the ground in a small club. Except maybe a 410 Peavey classic on the floor facing forward. That thing's high end is like a flashlight.

Stumbo likes this.
  9. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Oh, one more idea, combo up in the air plus earplugs. Foam ones cut mids and highs much more than lows, so you will sound louder in comparison, and you avoid contributing too much to the volume war.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM
  10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    You need to be so hard hitting that your guitar players can't hear them selves and they ask you to turn down. The you laugh at them and say "welcome to my world".

paytojt likes this.
  11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    How about two Quilter BB? One for each 151566! 1600 watts should do it. Your GPs will be crying.:help::cautious::facepalm::crying:

That's what I would do.

Or maybe rent a couple of SVTs for rehearsal.

paytojt likes this.
  12. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    You're definitely going to need to change your amp. Otherwise the 15 in your combo will be the limiting factor and you wont really be any further ahead (or you'll be carrying around a heavy combo with a speaker that you're not using).

Honestly, I don't know why you're looking at DIY stuff. By the time you order it, have it shipped, spend money on tools you didnt realize you would need, spend 7 weekends trying to put it together, etc... you really haven't "saved" anything. That route is more if you're looking for something that commercial cabs don't provide (or just want a fun project). But YOU just need more volume, which is easy. You're in a relatively metropolitan area, so you should be able to find a bunch of good options on craigslist, GC used, Reverb, etc... (even the classifieds here). A pair of matching 4x10s could be had for as little as $500, then a 350w or more amp could be had for as little $200 or so if you look in the right places. An SWR Goliath III or IV is about $300-350 used. I can't imagine you're going to get anything much better than that going DIY.

Now there's a good "budget" rig. *eyeroll*

OP, what IS your actual budget? And are you open to selling either or both of your Mesas?

Lvjoebass, lomo, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Is your amp the WalkAbout in a 15" combo? No matter the amp, yeah a 15 and 12 isn't nearly enough for that situation in my experience.

And while I side with those who advise more cab/speakers, I also totally agree with Omega Monkey's post immediately above.

I believe you'll need at least a 4x10 in this case, the WalkAbout amp may not be enough either. Definitely start with the cabs though.

14. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM
  15. paytojt

Apr 1, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    I thought with DIY I could get more bang for my buck, especially with the fearfuls. I am definitely looking at selling some things if necessary. I'm not married to the walkabout, but it is obviously a nice amp.

16. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    paytojt and redneck2wild like this.
  17. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Maybe if you're super handy, but in any case the biggest bang for the buck will be old-school cabs bought used locally.

I suggest not being too susceptible to the hype over some of the more unique/DIY designs. Proverbial grains of salt will come in very handy. The claims some people make, even about traditional and popular cabs, in re: how "loud" a band they can obliterate the guitarists in, is totally ....well let's just say sometimes I've used the same gear and can say with certainty that their idea of "loud" and the louder bands I've been in is night and day, so their breathless hype is a disservice at best.

Don't believe manufacturer hype when it comes to specs either, not about watts peak or RMS and not about a 12" tiny cabinet being equal to a much larger cabinet with multiple speakers.

I'm not on a budget. I've tried a lot of the "latest and greatest and smallest". Some of it sounds very good. Some is truly amazing for its size. None of it can hang when you need to rock hard and loud.

Go with what you know and can easily resell if need be.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM
  18. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Fearful 1515/66 with Quilter BB800

19. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    More speakers can be a crapshoot with the 300W amp. If you try more speakers get some that have a pretty high power handling capability in case you have to go to a 500 or 800 watt head. I bought another cab once in a band with a GP with a Twin reverb and a hard hitting drummer too. Ended up getting a bigger amp, the cabs could handle it.

xroads likes this.
  20. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    SVT plus two 8x10's should do it....