Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need more wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstr00, Jul 8, 2002.

1. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I've been using an old G-K RB400 for a while now with my Carvin 2x10. It sounds great for coffee shops and small bars. Problem is, I just joined a hard rock band with two half-stacks and double bass drum out the yin-yang. My rig can't keep up-it's two hundred degrees by the end of a show.

Impedence set aside-do I need more wattage in a new head with more speakers? Or could my 200 watt head drive something bigger (louder) like a 4x10 or a 2x15? Would that be loud enough?

2. More power would help but definatly more speakers are needed to compete with stacks and loud drums.
    Rock on
    Benton

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    To quote Roy Schider (sp?) in "Jaws" "You're gonna need a bigger boat". You're gonna need more watts and more speakers unless the band has a really good P.A. that can handle the lows. If they do than maybe your rig can handle stage volume.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The simplest option would be another cab; a 1x15 or a 4x10.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome to Talkbass!

Hmm, without knowing your setup, I can only suggest getting a 4 x 10 to add to your rig.

Unless the impedance of your 2 x 10 allows you to use the full output of the head ie does your head produce x many watts at 4 ohms or 8 ohms???

If your head is producing it's 200 watts at 4 ohms and your Carvin cab is 8 ohms - you're not getting all your power out!

Adding a 4 x 10 cabinet at 8 ohms to this will give you a total impedance of 4 ohms, you'll get the full power out and have 6 x 10 speakers pushing air!

If you need help on Ohms and understanding it, try a search in the amps forum - we have been this way before!!

At some point you may start to need more power - it may then be time to invest in a new head. Having a 2 x 10 and a 4 x 10 gives you some nice portability options depending on gigs size and how much of your power you'll need!!

I have an Ashdwon combo - 130 watts for practice and small gigs, and then I can mix an match my Trace 500 watt head with the 4 x 10 and the 1 x 15. I could get a few hundred watts just into the 4 x 10 and thew full 500 watts if I use both cabs!

Hope this helps - if you want more info, post again or PM me!

6. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Adding a 15" bottom would help. Personally I like the sound of the 10" with the 15" bottom cab. I tried using 1 4/10" w/t tweeter Trace Elliot cab with the 400 watt head and found it not loud enough. Once I added the 300 watt 15" bottom I have no problems at all keeping up with any rig.
    Good Luck

7. If the cab you have now is 8ohm then you can add another 8 ohm cab to the head. I have a 4x10 at 8ohm going into Gk400RB and i want it to be a little louder. So i was going to put a 1x15 at 8ohm under it. And if that isn't good enough...upgrade the head to the GK700. Good Luck.

8. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    see, here's the problem--- my current cab is 4 ohm, which also happens to be the minimum for my head. The thing i really need to know is if a 4 ohm 4x10 will produce a noticibly louder sound despite no increase in wattage. I have been relying on club PA's for the 200-400 person venues, but you know how fickle sound guys are.

9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think it will be noticeably louder, especially once you start to crank your amp.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i dont know if all amp heads can handle a 2 ohm load. putting two 4ohm speaker cabs together will give you 2ohms...

11. 4x10 moves more air than a 2x10 giving the impression of louder...

more speaker the louder it seems!

*this is just what i have been told!!! do not take it for gold*

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Maybe just get a power amp?

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i say go for a power amp. and use the pre-amp out of your GK.
    does it have an effects loop?

steve

14. Excellent suggestion. The G-K does have an effects loop; use the effects send to feed the power amp.

If you have a compressor that has stereo bridging, you can use that to do two things: match the input levels that the power amp's inputs prefer to see, and use it to feed both channels of the power amp separately, connecting a cab to each channel. That allows you to easily use cabinets of mixed impedances, by connecting them to separate power amp channels and balancing volume between them with the power amp's level controls. Better gain structure will give you better sound -- and, even if you prefer not to compress, you have the options of setting the compressor as a peak limiter for speaker protection and/or using it merely as a buffer amp for input level matching.

JMO. YMMV.

15. How about 2 8 Ohm Eden 8x10s? :p

16. 12.5 Watts per 10 Inch driver should be enough to not underpower the speakers I think

17. And at full power you would have 110dB/m per cab

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    A bass player can never have too much amplifier power. G@$#^r players on the other hand.........