Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need MUCH help with EQ'ing my sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 25, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    I just bought a larger amp (Ampeg BA-115) and a bass with an active pre-amp + active pickups (Cirrus 5 BXP) about 4 months ago. Before that, I had just like a beginner bass with tone knob, and a small practice amp that, with the two together, had basically no EQ freedom. As of now, I have many EQ options and things to configure to form my sound. I have gotten more knowledgeable, but still, am ignorant of how to propery use EQ. I don't know how to tweak and form sounds through EQ. Like, some notes seem louder than others, and I don't know why. 11th fret F# on G string is like INSANELY loud but the open D string isn't near as loud. I don't understand why that is...I figured it's something with EQ. These are some questions I have:

1.) Is there a range for each sound category? Like, are there a select range of notes that are controlled by Mid, Treble, and Bass?

2.) My low E seems to be quieter than my low B and A. Why is this?

3.) My low A seems to boom way louder than any of the other strings. How do I fix this?

Mainly my question is, how to have defined high end, with a punchy booming low end. I can't seem to figure it out. I just don't know how to fine tune my sound and get a balance from frets 1-24 on every string. Is it my amp or bass quality, or does it just sound like an EQ problem to you guys?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Adding a compressor (something like an old ART Levelar can be found for around $30 on ebay) will probably help solve your problems, though I am sure there are other ways to go around it.

3. Do you have brand-new strings on it? If not, this is sometimes the problem when you have strings with varying output. One example. I was using cheaper Hartke strings, and even a brand-new low E was always quieter than all the other open strings. Raising the pickups on that side didn't help, because they amplified the low A even more than the E. Switching to some new DR hi-beams (good strings) totally took care of that problem. The E sounded good and strong as it should.
    I've also heard of problems when installing strings. Sometimes, if the string gets "twisted" while being wound up on the post, it can have a deader sound. I've found that I get the best performance when completely winding the string with the tuner, instead of trying to wrap it around the post by hand to save time and cranking..
    String break angle over the saddles can have an impact on how strings sound.

It's hard to explain just which frequencies boost which notes/strings. It could even be pickup heights on the bass, even if new from factory.
    If I'm running more mids and high mids, this usually brings out all of my upper notes. Sometimes, if trying to run a thinner sound, I'll find that my low notes aren't as loud. Boosting the low and low-mids can usually cure this, or if I'm intent on running that sound, I might have to either readjust the pickups, or maybe run a limiter/compressor to even things out.

But.. if you are still running the original strings from factory (4 months old?) you should consider restringing with some good quality fresh ones. You might be surprised at the difference.

Just a few ideas. Sorry I could not be of more help..

Mag...

4. I strongly suggest getting your bass professionally set up with a brand new set of strings - it will work wonders for you.

When you get the bass back, set the EQ on the bass and on the amp flat (no boost & no cut) and then slowly adjust from there. Remember that what you hear playing alone will sound different when you are playing in a band. Experiment and have fun.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Benner

5. +1 on the set up and starting from flat on both eq's. Very good advice.

6. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    seirously, i feel dumb, but what is flat...

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    flat = no plus or minus eq adjustments.

on the ba-115: "style" button in the 3rd position, bass mid and treble straight up.

Your on your own with the instrument, usually flat is where the center dent is (where it kinda stops).