Need Multi-FX advice!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlavaF, Dec 1, 2004.

Which multi-FX for me?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2004.
  1. Boss GT-6B

2. Boss ME-50B

3. Other (please specify in post)

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I need some help from you effects gurus out there! PS I did a search, but I want some help for my situation.

Here's the situation: my birthday is in about 3 weeks, and I'm going to get some sort of multi-effects pedal (because I really want one). Problem is, I don't know which one.

I generally don't screw around with FX too much, so I need some useable, but at the same time, some unique and "different" sounding effects as well. I play in rock bands, in which I am given lots of room to play whatever the hell I want, as well as my solo stuff. I want some solid rock sounds, plus nice flanges, choruses, delays and whatnot.

I tried 3 boxes so far: I tried the Roland V-Bass a while ago - without the pickup - and I'm absolutely in love with it. Problem is, it's about $1000 out of my price range :rolleyes:

Then I tried the Boss ME-50B, which I thought was OK, but then again I didn't really have much testing time so I don't know what it's really capable of. I don't remember how the patches were, but from what I remember, the compressor, distortions, defretter and most of the modulation effects were pretty nice. It costs about $400 here (in Canadian funds). Not a bad pedal, but I didn't get to try out the different functions of the expression pedal yet. Plus from what I understand, I'd have to spend yet more money on a set of footswitches to switch patches... that kinda sucks.

Finally, I tried the Boss GT-6B today, and I really enjoyed it! LOTS of tweakability, it seemed fairly user friendly, lots of patches, nice preamp section, awesome harmonizer, and I liked the tuner too. It was everything I liked about the ME-50B, but bigger and better (and red). This one costs $665.

Basically, since I am in no way a tone purist or an effects purist, all three of these blew me away, but I'm leaning towards the GT-6B now. What I want to know is, for my purposes, which would suit me the best in the long run (so that it lasts past the initial "honeymoon") and which would keep me interested not for its novelty, but for its sounds.

Also, please reccomend some alternative pedals that I could try out.

Thanks a lot!
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have you considered seperate effect pedals? Ultimate tonal flexibility there.

Who's buying this for you, and where can I find someone that generous? :)
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well right now I have a Boss ODB-3 and a CEB-3, and there isn't exactly a vast range of tones in those two boxes... they're pretty low end. Plus, if I want to use flange in one song, reverb or delay on a solo, and some compression, I don't want to be buying tons and tons of gear. A multi-effects box seems to make the most sense to me.

Yes, my parents are very generous (though if I trade my pedals in, I'd get around $170 for them). I'm glad I have generous parents, the prospect of working frightens me! :D
  4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    If you're not opposed to a rack mount unit, the discontinued Boss VF-1 is top notch. It's a good bang for the buck unit. The Boss GT-6 and GT-6B were both based on the VF-1. IMHO, the VF-1 is a lot more versatile.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    so , basically you're asking us 'ME-50B or GT-6B'?
    This has been discussed a bunch of times, including very recently.
    If you prefer the GT-6B, get the GT-6B. There's no wrong answer, and we all have different needs/tastes.
    I personally prefer the ME-50B, it suits my needs better (simple to use, smaller footprint, no need for amp modelling).
  6. Be careful about going to multi fx as in my experience they do tend to be pants for live use, how many pro basses use Boss pedals ( separates ) this gives you some idea.

Multi f/x have built in pre amps that sometimes mess with your original nice bass and amp sound, ok if you have poor bass and amp in the first place !!

Some do not have true bypass so they colour your sound which is not a good thing.

The Boss ME50B is a good unit, the GT6B gives you loads of amp simulations / cabs etc so if you hate your amp or you go to studio alot than thats a good feature.The f/x on both are much the same, the ME50B is nice but not so live gig friendly as the settings are difficult to tweek on the fly compared to separate pedals.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    So if in the future I want to record a lot, and play lots of live gigs, I understand that the GT-6B would be more useful in that regard?

Dave Wilson: it's not that I really "prefer" the GT-6B, it's just that I played the ME-50B and thought "well, this is a pretty nice box", and then when I played the GT-6B, I thought "wow, this thing is amazing! What can't you do on it?" As I said, it blew me away, but since I have no knowledge of multi-FX boxes, I really don't know what's "good" and what's not.

As for the VF-1, I'd need a MIDI controller for that right? But then again, it seems like it would be REALLY hard to tweak on the fly, and wouldn't really be as useful as a pedal. Whereabouts could I find one?
  8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you like it, it's good to you. That's all that matters really. If I prefer the ME-50B, and you prefer the GT-6B then neither of us is 'wrong'.
    One thing with the GT-6B, I wasn't sure from reading what you said whether you were blown away by the sounds or the editing capabilities.
    The effects I use most are compression, overdrive,distortion/fuzz and chorus. I was able to get sounds I wanted very quickly on the ME-50B, more so than on the GT-6B which has more parameters but I honestly preferred the quick and easy working of the ME-50B. And I thought the underlying overdrive sounds were better on the 50B.
  9. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Thanks a lot David, I really appreciate the help. :)

I think I'd prefer the GT-6B, since as you say, it has more parameters, but still seems pretty easy to tweak. It would take more getting used to, but that's OK. I'll play both again before I buy though.

On a side note, I think I found "my" sound while playing through the GT-6B: an American Fender Jazz through an Eden WT-550 and 2 Aguilar GS-112's. I mean the pedal sounded awesome and all, but when I turned off all the effects, that was one hell of a tone.

So yeah, I'll try both out again sometime soon (and maybe some Digitechs if I'm lucky) and make up my mind.

PS I was at first blown away by the editing capabilities while cycling through the patches and fixing them up to taste, but then I realized that I can pretty much edit anything I want on that thing, and make it sound as good as I want. I did love a lot of the sounds on it, and I guess that's what matters.
  10. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    So I played through a GT-6B again last night for about an hour (with an Ibanez SR-800 thru an SWR Workingman 15) and my mind is made up. I was totally blown away by the sheer volume of patches available (and surprised at how many of them I could see myself using in a real band situation), the sound quality, and the tweakability of everything: a patch is too tame? Step on the OD pedal and dirty it right up. I loved that. Also, the reverb sounds amazing, as do the compressors, the manual wah, the chorus, octave, distortions, and the defretter. Plus, the fact that it has an XLR out is a big plus.

I think it sounds great, is built very tough, and has enough tweakability to be at home in any musical situation. I'll be getting one soon! :bassist:
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I voted other. Lexicon MPX G2 is definitely my favorite multi-effects unit.
  12. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Can you bypass or turn off the amp modeling crap on the GT-6B?
    Also can you bypass the EQ also? It's not needed as I already have an Ashly EQ.
    Maybe some could find an online manual for it, please? I can't find one yet.
    To your ears, with all the effects turned off, does it alter your tone? (I'm assuming it's not true bypass.)
  13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, it's true bypass (big plus for recording).

Also, xyllion, could you elaborate on the Lexicon you suggested? I'm not familiar with that one.