Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need new 10" speakers for my 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 440Hz, Feb 14, 2004.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I recently bought a late '60's Ampeg 8x10 for WAY cheap. Only problem is a few speakers need replaced. I am thinking about just reloading the entire thing. CAn anyone recommend decent speakers for this job? I dont wanna spend a crapload of $$ on them cuz then i would probably ust go out and buy a new Apeg cab.

Thanks.

2. Eminecene (sp?) deltas. They're the ones used it Avatar cabs and they are A+ good to me.

3. Have the reconed. From what I have read in this forum in the past, the best thing to do with old SVT cabs is have them re-coned.

4. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    well, it turns out that 4 of the 8 10"s have been replaced, and a few of the replaced ones are blown. This is another reason i am wanting to start from scratch and reload the cab.

5. You can get the Jensen Mod 10" 32 ohm speakers a little bit cheaper at Antique Electronic Supply. They are only 50 watt speakers but the originals are 30 watt speakers so thats not too bad. I would personally go for the Eminence 100 watt 32 ohm speakers but eight of those would be close to the cost of buying a used SLM cab. Keep your eye on Ebay as I recently saw some of the old ones selling there as well.

6. Electro Harmonix is also selling the Eminence speakers for a little cheaper as well. (10", 100 watts, 32 ohm, 2" voice coil)