Need new 10" speakers for my 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 440Hz, Feb 14, 2004.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I recently bought a late '60's Ampeg 8x10 for WAY cheap. Only problem is a few speakers need replaced. I am thinking about just reloading the entire thing. CAn anyone recommend decent speakers for this job? I dont wanna spend a crapload of $$ on them cuz then i would probably ust go out and buy a new Apeg cab.

Thanks.

2. Eminecene (sp?) deltas. They're the ones used it Avatar cabs and they are A+ good to me.

3. Have the reconed. From what I have read in this forum in the past, the best thing to do with old SVT cabs is have them re-coned.

4. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    well, it turns out that 4 of the 8 10"s have been replaced, and a few of the replaced ones are blown. This is another reason i am wanting to start from scratch and reload the cab.

5. You can get the Jensen Mod 10" 32 ohm speakers a little bit cheaper at Antique Electronic Supply. They are only 50 watt speakers but the originals are 30 watt speakers so thats not too bad. I would personally go for the Eminence 100 watt 32 ohm speakers but eight of those would be close to the cost of buying a used SLM cab. Keep your eye on Ebay as I recently saw some of the old ones selling there as well.

6. Electro Harmonix is also selling the Eminence speakers for a little cheaper as well. (10", 100 watts, 32 ohm, 2" voice coil)