Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Oct 14, 2003.

1. hey everyone i am a newby here but i need some help. right now its rather embarassing but i am playin off a 15 w fender and i am not liking it at all anyway i desperately need a new amp and have no idea what kind. i am lookin to be able to play small show like up to 500 ppl outdoors. and i play mostly rock metal and punk but everyonce in a while i like to throw in some blues anyway suggestions would be great and i only have like 600 can to spend i knwo i am poor anyway help would be appreciated.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    only $453 USD hmmmmm is there a PA for your outdoor concert? if not you could be in trouble. for your money its best to just hear yourself let alone the whole crowd. I spent about $2000 USD on my current setup (minus guitar) and the bass is thick only within a 15' radius from my two 12" cabs and 350watts. The crowd will 'hear' you just it will be thin.

maybe getting a USED high power combo might work (for hearing yourself) 100-200watts with a 15" speaker. maybe SWR workingman 15, or Gallien-Krueger. maybe an old fender bxr-200 or 300.
    Carvin's got one

check Ebay.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I second Avatar, especially if you are really really spent for cash.

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Under $500 (US) is tough to get the job done. I had a Workingman's 15 combo with a cheap Hartke 210 extension cab. That's 200W through two 10's and a 15 + the horn. Didn't really get the job done for me and it was $500 total (both pieces) including shipping.

Start by finding Hartke 3500 head (or cheap similar Peavey) for about $275. If you don't have the money for a 4-Ohm 410 cab to go with it (Avatar, used Hartke), buy an 8-Ohm 210. Then at another point in time when you've saved more money, buy another 8-ohm 210 or 115 to put under it.

Avatar sells 112's for $164 on ebay. One 12 won't do it alone, but it can be built onto. Add a 210 or 115 to it at some point.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Under $500 US is hard to get what you are asking for. Keep in mind that if you are going to play for 500 people outdoors, you'll more than likely use your bass amp as a monitor, and get a lot of your volume from the PA. You'd need a nice sized rig to meet the volume needs for this kind of gig, if the amp is the only source of bass sound.

I suggest a SWR Workingman's 15. You can get one for under your spending limit, and it has a direct out, so you can run the amp signal into the PA. It should be loud enough for practice and small gigs. I used a workingman's 12 for over 300 gigs, including outdoor ones without a hitch. Later you can add a extension speaker if you want a little more volume.

If you can save up a little more money and don't mind hauling heavy gear, a great setup would be:
    A used QSC RMX850 - $200-250
    A used bass preamp (Yamaha PB-1, BBE,Peavey Max) -$100-150 I recommend the Peavey Max, it has a nice tube sound.
    A used Avatar 1x15 4 Ohm - $125-175, $210 new
    A used Avatar 2x10 4 Ohm - $150-200, $240 new
    Speaker cables - ~$40

7. thanks everyone actually i just won a bid on ebay for a peavey tnt 115 but i cant get a hold of the guy he wont respond to any emials. anyway if i am gonna pick up any of the stuff you guys were talkin about i would need a place to get it. and since i live way up in whitehorse yukon canada there is no where inside of 1000 miles to get anything at a decent price so i need a canadian website to buy my stuff off of i have looked and looked but i cant find one anyway thanks.

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    YO GREAT WHITE NORTH. I don't think the TNT will have enough umph by itself for a crowd of 500 people. But, you might consider adding a 2x10 or 2x12 or 4x12 to that and then, bam! Is it dark up there yet?