1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need new bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insertusername, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. Right i'll be honest i don't really know a lot about bass amps which is why i'm asking on here but i need an amp to gig with my band. We play in A if that makes any difference to what I need spec wise. Also death metal so not too erm twangy? i don't really know how to decribe what word. Needs to be loud enough to play pubs, clubs, and the odd larger gig. Both our guitar amps are 120W. My maxprice is around £500. Looked at the Hartke vx3500 but other than that don't really know where to look

    Any help would be appreciated :)
  2. Only in A? Ok..........
  3. LesS


    Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    For playing in "A", I think that you would need an Ampeg.
  4. bwv1013


    Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal

    if drop tuning is the ticket, get the most power you can afford.
  5. Double Agent

    Double Agent

    Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    What about Ashdown or Aguilar??!?:bag:

    Seriously, Ashdown has a budget line that is supposed to be pretty good. The MAG series, I think. Gallien-Krueger (usually abbreviated as GK) has some really nice-sounding and inexpensive stuff as well. Also, don't be afraid to look at used equipment, especially in you're on a budget.
  6. But those only work if you play in G.
  7. GtenderG


    Feb 29, 2008
    You play in A what? A House? A tent? A vacant lot?
  8. Dan Knowlton

    Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

    Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    If you play in G you have permission to use:
    ·[FONT=&quot]GCI Technologies[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot]Genz Benz[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot]Groove Tubes[/FONT]
    If you want to play in A there are a lot more to choose from!
    ·Acme Sound LTD
    ·Acoustic Amplification
    ·Acoustic Control Corporation
    ·Acoustic Image
    ·Amplified Music Products
    ·Ashly Audio

    Don't even get me started with D, E, or F!

    Dan K
  9. Dan Knowlton

    Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

    Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Now for a real answer - sounds like you are going to need a LOT of power to keep up with 2 120w heads! I usually figure 6X the guitarists rating rounded up, so at LEAST 800watts. In addition, as long as you don't exceed your amp's ohm rating you can get more volume by adding a second cab. If your amp is 4 ohms MINIMUM you can either do two 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm.

    Sounds like you are in the same boat as a lot of us - you need to sell a kidney to get the rig you want. (Just in case you did not notice - I'M NOT SERIOUS ABOUT THAT!).

    Anyway, sounds like you are gonna have some fun!

    Dan K.
  10. thanks people. I'd always heard allow for twice the guitarists rating so around 250W. I'll look into some of them

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.