need new bass but which one?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Aug 1, 2001.

1. BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    okey dokey, i need a new bass. Ive been borrowing my uncles erodyne lately and i like it, but i had to give it back :( , i like but i want to know what else i could get with a range of 750 dollars. I want something i could pick and also slap and pop, i dont know whether i should choose a 5 or a 4, it seems i can slap and pop with a 4 better but the 5 has great range with the B string, and i want a bass with looks that stand out. Ive been really frustrated with this question for about a year now. My band plays punk, alternative, metal, and modern rock and i really want somethign with a good range that would sound good with anything (including: Jazz, rock, punk). PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!
  2. BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    please help me, im gonna die if i dont get some help soon
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi BassGrowl,
    Hope you're not dead before you get this message. If not, I hope you don't die when I don't answer your question. Do you live within a reasonable distance to a music or guitar store? ( I live 220 miles from the nearest, so I know how that is). If the answer is yes, you need to go play some basses. We can give you a list as long as your arm, but until you try some out, and make your own REAL SHORT list, this forum is not going to decide which bass you should buy. If you liked the Ergodyne, that is a good start. There are probably 50 basses in your price range, and 30 in your style range. If you say you have it narrowed down to 3 basses, maybe the wise players here can give you a breakdown. This is just my humble opinion of course. I know you will find the bass for you. If you are deceased, I wrote this for nothing. :)
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i know, how about one that is under $750.01, that you like, and that you can play!!!
  5. BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    ok, ergodyne, fender p or j, or soundgear
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    well for $750 you have a lot of options. first of all i would suggest looking for a used musicman sting ray or sting ray5. wonderful basses, and theyre pretty affordable. try out fenders, theyre very affordable and good for just about every style of music. if you like the erodynes, go for it. also, try some warwicks if you can. spectors are pretty reasonable too. just try as many basses as you can and see what you like. good luck man :)
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    despite endorsment, in my experience, in the end what's the best is the classic tone of a fender, or a rickenbacker or a gibson bass. for your specs i'd suggest you to try different fender jazz basses. the MIJ are the best bang for the buck in the fender line up. when you'll find the right one go for it. the add the j-retro preamp. you'll have a killer bass. much better than every warwick or ibanez around.
    i'm happy with mine!! Basses/fender_jazz_bass_special_white.htm

all for 399$ the bass and 250 $ the preamp. ok the bass has an ugly finish. but for 100/150$ you can have it repainted.

for me this is a great deal!!!
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You could try to find an ATK to try... A lot of people rave about those... I really like my Ibanez SR800LE. Fender Deluxe Jazz, you could afford that.
    There's TONS of stuff you could afford... Epiphone EB-0... MIM P-bass, MIM J-bass...
    As stated before... Warwick. You might be able to find an Ibanez BTB in your price range. Carvin has a nice array of basses, that seem to be quite nice. You could probably squeeze the Peavey Cirrus from ( Basses/peavey_cirrus_4_st.htm )

It's only $800, and 'though I've never tried one, I've never heard one bad comment about them. (and I've heard PLENTY of good comments... Especially with that wood combination.)

I think the Peavey Cirrus would probably be the best thing you could get. You don't need a 5 unless your guitarist uses a 7 string, really.

I'd snag it up, if I could... but I'm broke.
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Always buy used. You will get a hell of a lot more bass for $750 than if you bought new.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Used is the way to go.
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    And don't go for the "standard bigshots" (Fender & clones, Ibanez, Yamaha), before testing everything you get your hands on!

I'd say the probability of finding something that fits your ergonomics, tonal intentions and budget (all at the same time) increases with 30% per tried out bass! :eek: Don't believe me? Go try some, high end and low end and whatever's in between - then tell me your experiance.

BTW, going for used also increases the possibilities to get the "perfect axe".

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think you should really look into the Peavey Cirrus I showed you before... From what I hear, they're some of the best basses out there... And as far as the versatility issue goes... It's active... I think that says enough, alone.