Need New Bass in January...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xolin, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Hey,

first thing, mind you, I am in Canada. I am planning to purchase a new bass in january. I will have about 250CND from my bro and 250-350 from myself. But before i decide my main problem with my current six string passive (brice 860) is that it doesnt seem to cut through too well. Now, it did with a peavey combo+1x15 cab I used at a studio wtih a drummer and another guitarist, but when i use with my other two bands at high volumes it just doesnt cut through. Now all i have for amplification is a hartke kickback 15 (120watts) combo. This has a good tonal variety, but it distorts at high volumes when i boost the lows, which is fine by me, cuz i use that tone for metal. THe problem I have with my bass/amp is that when i play songs with a cleaner smooth bass line (not sloppy or without a heavy attack) it just doesnt cut through the band no matter how loud. I was thinking of getting one of Rondo's Brice Swamp Ash 5 string jazzes (the heavy ones) but I'm not sure if i should probably get some active bass in order to boost the output. The other problem is that it might just be my amplification system.

Anyway if you even bothered reading all of the condolences...I am looking for a 4-5 string bass which can really cut through and has a really nice tonal variety (or just a really good tone in general). I'm used to smaller string spacing having only used a 6er, but that shouldnt be a problem.

So heres the summary:
    $500-600 CND (about 450US) to spend. (if from US border duties are ~$100CND, shipping from 30-40 US)
    Need to cut through with some nice clear tone.
    Might need amp upgrade (my amp goes loud, not sure about the bass cutting through or my amp).

So, any help/suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
  2. You might be better off spending your money on amplification. 120 watts is absolutely nothing again two guitarists and a drummer. If you want a good sound as well as one that will cut through, you need more watts. Save up till you can afford a better amp, because no matter how amazing a bass you plug into it, 120 watts will be drowned out quite easily.

My advice is save your money till you can afford a nice head and combo, after that, upgrade basses.
  3. I would reccommend to get a new amp...

but if you really dont want to here are some basses to look at:

ESP C-305
    Has EMG-HZ pickups 5 string 35 in scale looks beautiful

Warwick Rockbass
    Played one of these at a store and it blew me away for the price.

Many yamahas are very good for the price definently look into these.

4. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    An MTD Kingston or Heir would be a great choice, if you're willing to go 5 string. For 6, I might suggest a used Cort Curbow 6. Either of those should cut through, based on tonal qualities alone.
    A new higher-powered amp might solve the problem, too.
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Do the amp. You could look at a Yorkville and get lots of power for the dollar.

As for basses, my Godin cuts through very well and is in your price range. L&M sells them right across the country. My Precision also cuts through rather nicely.

6. dont get a new bass get a new amp i agree christle get a yorkville xm200t 200 watts with a 2x10 speaker and you can add a extension cabinet to the mix when u save a little more cash. that amp should serve you well well thats my idea. i believe they are about 700 new but i am sure you could find one used for much less.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I agree. You don't need a new bass, you need a more powerful amp.
  8. I also aggree, yorkville!

9. i disagree. i play in the marching band and used a fender 100 watt combo and was EASILY over powering a 70-ish person hornline as well as the 7 piece drumline and full pitt (marimbas etc). i usually kept the volume knob at 4 or below...

so i think that the quality of the amp has a lot to do with it.
  10. Sorry man, I played in marching bad too. 70 people playing wind istruments and percussion is still not the same as two guitar half stacks and a drummer. Ask anyone who gigs somewhat regularly- you just can't compete with only 100 watts.

If you have any doubts, play with one loud drummer and a guitarist for an hour with no earplugs at gig volume. Even if the drummer isn't miked and there are no monitors, I can 100 percent gaurentee that your ears will be affected
    much more with those two people than with a 70 person horn section.

Take the advice of pretty much everyone on this thread, you need a more powerful amp.
  11. i understand where you are coming from, but my experiences have been completely different. i play with a 4 piece (guitar, drums, keyboard, and me on bass) and we run full PA and all, and i still have plenty of headroom. im thinking we just have different ideas of "gigging volume" because in my experiences 100 watts has been enough for me to fill football stadiums, churches, or clubs
  12. Ibanez BTB406 is a pretty good 6'er if u are on a low budget i just recently got one and i like it alot good bass for the price
  13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Too many people have the idea that real loud isn't loud enough. In one band I play in 100 watts is enough. The other, no way would it work.

14. Thanks for the suggestions, guys (and/or gals).

My band doesn't really play too loud (drums are drums though) but the guitarists dont have crazy stacks or anything. I can cut through sometimes playing stuff like slap lines but the mid to low ends just never come through...almost like they get swallowed, so its not really volume as it is cutting through the sound clearly. I dunno, i seriously think that an active system might work. A new head+stack would help too, but i think in this case its better if i get a bass (I want one anyway;)).
  15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    And the truth comes out ;) FWIW, I still think the amp would be a better investment. The irony of the two bands I play in goes like this: Motown, R&B, Oldies band - I use a Kustom 250 with a Kustom 2x15 cab. Volume is set to 2 on our loudest days. The hard rock band I play through a Yamaha B100 head and a homemade cab that has 2x15 black widow speakers. I have to have the volume cranked to about 6 in order to compete with a single guitarist playing through a Stage Twin 100 and 4X12 Celestion speakers. I would love to take the Kustom to the hard rock band practices but it is owned by one of the guitarists in the Motown band. The amp would allow me to compete without sacrificing tone. It does help that both of my basses have strong sounding pickups and excellent mid-range capabilities but I firmly believe that you need the amp to do the work.

Just my $0.02 worth. Either way, make sure you have fun. Post pics when you get your new bass.

16. Well, I probably should get a new amp then. I will get a bass (but wont spend as much on it), but what would you suggest for a head and cab setup. I love the (low volume) tonal variety of my hartke kickback (the contour knob is a necessity for my tone, amazing variety when used with my bass knobs) so either a contour knob or some multi band eq would be good. I like warm mids (i dont wanna sound like billy sheehan unless i want to add the gain or od effects). If i save up by about mid summer i can probably make about (only starting work in the summer) $500 at least maybe even get up to 800-1000 if i really save (cdn $ that is). But for now, what would you suggest in the $500-600 range? I dont necessarily want hartke, anything with a tone I might like. (I play currently smooth jazz with another amp so no worries there, and some metal and classic rock, and some primus, and i do a lot of bass tapping+shredding and such if i want to write a cheesy maidenesque epic song :cool: ).

Thanks for the help you guys, I wish i could be a supporting member here but alas I am a self-sufficient University student...must I say more:meh:
  17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Here in this country I would suggest the Yorkville series. They have some excellent 200W and 400W configurations. Also check the used market. You may be able to get a decent amp that way. Brands to look for: Yorkville, Peavey, and Fender.