Need new bass, looking at Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Exploding Boy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Exploding Boy

Exploding Boy

Oct 30, 2003
    I'm looking to spend around $500. One of the big things with my new bass is that it has to appeal to be visually, and I really like the look of the Fender Jazz bass. I also obviously care for it to sound good.

I'd say my skill level is about intermediate. I've been playing for about 3 years, though for some of that time I was inactive after my last band broke up, but now I am starting a new band and want a good bass (my current one is some old, crappy used one that was $80).

Where should I buy from? Online? A local shop? Any suggestions and comments are welcomed.
  2. A Fender Jazz bass is a fairly common instrument. I would imagine you could buy it at most guitar shops. I would recommend checking out the used market first, see your local newspaper.

Though many people have had good experiences purchasing instruments on-line, I would recommend you buy it local so you can get a good feel for it before you buy. I noticed that different basses that are the same model may feel different.
  3. id look at local shops, buying online can be a pain in the butt. fender jazz is an all around excellent instrument. good choice.
  4. I very much suggest buying used for a Fender Jazz. You can get them at a very resonable cost that way. If you buy an American made one in the store it can cost upwards of a grand, even the Mexico made Fenders go for $400 or so retail. Used you can get a Mexico Fender for about $200 or an American standard for about $450. On the subject of buying locally, you can usually find ads in your local paper or if you have something like a "Recycler" paper in your area, they may have ads online and you can get ahold of people in your local area to check out basses before you buy (always a good idea).
  5. If we're talking $500 used, you can a pretty nice bass for that price. If you want to buy a new Fender only, this just about limits you to MIM Fenders w/case.

If your bass does not absolutely have to have the name "Fender" on the headstock, may I suggest looking at the similarly priced Yamahas, such as the BB404. Most Yamahas have a very Fender-like feel to them. The sound is a little different, but you just might like it better.

They're worth a try.

6. Yes, if you look hard enough though, you can find a good made MIM, check them out and play one until you find what feels good to you.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    I agree with most of the above. For that price, used is probably the way to go. But before you limit yourself to a Jazz, make sure you play it. They have a rather thin neck - some people like this - others with stubby fingers like myself - like something thicker.

Any time you buy used, make sure you give it a good test - ain't no warranty.

I would buy amps on line, if I knew exactly what I wanted, but a bass? Need to play and feel it first.

I recently bought a MIM Jazz V. It was $650CDN with a sweet tweed/denim/leather fender gig bag. I have had some trouble with it, with the B string is not as tight as i would like. I just changed to a tighter string tension on that string and to a non-tapered. I had to completly change my style on it. I have it setup fairly low, and I use a real light touch and it is a beautiful sound. In concern to the difference in play and sound etc. with the MIM's and the MIA's the MIA'a are much more money almost double and they have string thru bridges, and the pickups "are" different but i can't tell the difference. The necks are a little different but for the price difference I live the feel of the MIM. I have a prefrence of thinner necks and it is. The only down side that I found other than the original B thing, is that THEY ARE HEAVY!! I suggest buying a really wide strap and strap locks, i damn near broke my toe when i was practicing and the top pin came off the strap and i didn't quite catch it. My toe stopped it though:):bawl::eek:

Good choice!!! in the Fender Jazz.
  9. You can't go wrong with a Jass Bass, IMHO. I'd look at used American made instruments if I was in your shoes but a new MIM would be fine, too. Happy hunting!
  10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with artistanbul, look for a used Made In Japan Jazz bass at that price level. the Japanese Fenders are very good and valued lower than the American ones.
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

i've found the Geddy Lee model Fender jazz to be the most pleasantly playable offering if you're looking for a jazz at the kind of $

13. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Oh I've just got another idea...
    How about this one...
    For 299+shipping