Need new cabs...tried them all and still looking!?!? How 'bout Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Jul 31, 2002.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I need to replace my Redhead combo with a rig that is more "jam" friendly...something that will be able to fill a medium sized venue and compete against two Marshall half-stacks. I play mostly classic rock, blues-rock, and roots rock influenced music (Led Zeppelin, Allmans, Black Crowes, etc.), but am still looking for a tight, punchy, full-range cab that will accurately reproduce the sound of my basses and amp. I plan on using an SWR IOD with a Stewart 2.1.

I've played virtually every modern cab (SWR, Eden, Epi, Berg, Bag End, EA, etc.), and would like to hear from those who use or have owned Ampeg cabs. I've never played through an Ampeg, and never even considered these cabs, but I'm thinking it might be my last hope. I recently played a Peavey amp emulator 2X10 combo on the SVT setting and LOVED IT! If you own Ampeg or did at one time, I would appreciate any and all thoughts, opinions, and equipment reviews. I would be particularly interested in the following:

SVT 210HE: Classic Series
    PR-210H: Pro Series
    PB-210H: Portabass Series
  2. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Wow, you're competing with two half stacks with two tens? How? I need 8!

Ampegs definitely have a sound of their own. I can only speak for the classics, though, as they're the only ones I've used (besides my '76 8x10). They are more 'vintage style' and the pro series more 'modern style' methinks. Warm, midrangey, fat... whatever you want to call it. Definitely not hi-fi. Try one out!
  3. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Did you try Aguilar?
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    To clarify, I'm thinking that I will HAVE to go with two 2X10 cabs...don't think one will cut it! :eek: Portability is an issue with me, so I'm thinking small but multiple cabs.
  5. Eden 1x15 and 2x10 here, i rip through two guitarists. Whole rig fits in either of my cars too.

Depends what head you're gonna use too ya know ..... I used to use Ampeg, now I'm an Eden fan.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've tried every other cab I would be interested in, and have either eliminated it due to tone (Eden, Genz Benz, etc.) or cost (Glock, etc.). I would appreciate opinions and thoughts from those who have experiences with Ampeg cabs, especially those listed in my oritinal post (2X10). Thanks!
  7. everybody you mentioned in your first post played through ampegs. that is testiment to itself
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you have to get an ampeg than get the 6x10HLF.
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i say get a BXT 410HL... that will be really loud and really punchy IMO... mine is atleast... :D
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Led Zeppelin, Allmans, Black Crowes, etc....

Sounds like you need something from the Ampeg classic series, but I doubt a 210 by itself will get the job done in a rock band. Maybe get the 210 and add a SVT15e later. I use the 610 hlf btw but I don't claim its the cab everyone should use. That is entirely up to you. The Classic series do all have a similar sound so you really can't go wrong, it just depends on how much low end you need. I used the Ampeg 410 he on top of an SVT 18e for awhile and loved it, but got lot's of complaints about being too loud and too much low end from sound men :rolleyes: So I switched to all 10's and the complaints stopped.
  11. I have an SVT 410HLF and I really dig it. I traded a Goliath 3 for it. I prefer the Ampeg. Lots of low end, probably the most low end I've heard out of a 410 cab. It's still tight sounding, though. Nice thick midrange that really cuts through a mix. It definitely has some of that classic Ampeg sound going on. Hence, it is not hifi sounding. I'd suggest as well that a 210 won't do in a rock n' roll situation. The 410 or 610 HLF boxes are both great stand alone boxes.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am using two 410HLF's, powering them with an SVT4Pro head. I am very very happy with them (and the head, of course). Great lows, but not muddy. They have great punch.

I tried everything available to me when I was out shopping to replace my Peavey rig. SWR (SM900/Goliath III setup), Eden (WT800/410XLT) GK (1001rb through various cabs), Mesa (the new model, don't remember the exact name), and Ashdown (again, don't remember which exactly). I took the SWR rig on a gig, because in the store, I thought it was what I wanted. Next day, it was replaced with my current Ampeg rig.

Some people here don't like Ampeg cabs (Munji:p ), but mine have served me very well. I would highly recommend em to anyone looking for a more "full" sound than the more hi-fi sounding brands have.
  13. I tried the 410HLF to, and i loved it, however like JPJ i was looking for a more portable rig. In the end i chose the SVT 210HE and SVT 15E, runing a B-2R through them. They sound great, really loud, great clarity on the bottom end and portable.