Need new email service... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 27, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know this has been discussed many times before, but I'm on dialup (post Hurricane Rita) and search would be slowwwwwww...

I've been using a service called Mailblocks for my personal email. It used a "crude but effective" strict challenge/response filter to keep my inbox squeaky clean. Mailblocks was bought by AOL and is now being killed, though. Over the past couple of years that I've used the service, it has filtered out over 40,000 spam emails. Wow - that's a LOT of spam!

Things I want from a replacement service: I use an address at my domain as an alias which forwards to my actual email account. New service must not balk at receiving or handling aliased mail. I would like IMAP functionality so that I can use a regular email client or webmail, as I choose. Excellent spam filtering is a MUST (recall the 40k figure above!).

A decent sized quota would be nice. Free would be nice but I don't mind paying for a service that has all of the above.

Any ideas? Thanks...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a yahoo account. I don't think I can do the IMAP thing with it though - am I wrong? I confess that I haven't paid much attention to such things since I've been happy with the Mailblocks service. I'm kinda behind the times at the moment with only a slow dialup connection at work (and plenty "real" work stuff to do) to try to catch up!
  4. Gmail...can be set to POP3, 2 gig of space and free. Need an invite?
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I do - I was checking out gmail but couldn't get an SMS invite to work with my Cingular phone. How does that work? Should I PM you with my email address?

Oh, and thanks!
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mark, check your email....
  7. Yes, if someone hasn't beaten me to it :)
  8. Gmail is by far the best email service I've used. The archive function they have is surprisingly useful, as are the 2.5? gigs they give you now. I get pretty much 0 spam, and I've been using it for 14 months now.
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

If anyone needs an invite, you can always pm or mail me.
  10. another +1 for gmail, and i say whatever you do, don't use
  11. +1...if anyone needs and invite, pm or mail Vorago or me.
  12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've been using fastmail for a while (, they have a free service with imap (but advertising taglines) or a variety of tiers of pay service
  13. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have like 50 gmail invites.

best mail i have ever had. sorts spam like a ups guy high on pcp. its great.