Need new head and cab advice - New to all this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_menace, Jul 17, 2019.

1. The_menace

The_menace

Jul 17, 2019
    Australia
    So I recently changed over to the dark side, having been a guitarist for 15 years, and I need a gig ready head and cab. I was thinking a used mark bass 4x10 and a dark glass m900. However, I can get an older Warwick 4x10 cab for half the price of the mark bass. Is is worth getting the mark bass cab or will the warwick do the job well?

Additionally, is this even a good setup? I generally like mid heavy punchy bass tones, and using lots of fuzz and other effects. Otherwise, is there a better setup for this? (I can gett an old warwick profet head and cab for more than half of the dark glass/mark bass setup)

What are some things to be aware of when buying bass amps n cabs? I literally know nothing about any of this, so any help is appreciated :) Thank you

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    410 cabs are not as popular now, as they tend to be heavy, and some people prefer taller cabs, which gets the sound up closer to your ears. As a result, used 410s can be a good deal. Best thing is to play them - both are good companies, but your ears are not mine.

Wisebass likes this.
  3. The Warwick stuff will certainly do the job. Really the only massive benefit with the other gear you've listed, is that it's WAY lighter weight.
    If you're happy to schlep the Warwick gear, it'll surely do a good job, be gig ready and be robust.
    Whether it's TONALLY what you're after is purely up to you.
    But I know Warwick amps and cabs are decent quality

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Location?
    Budget?
    Weight restrictions?
    New or used preferences?
    Music genre?
    Other band members' gear?

Lots of factors to consider... The more we know the easier it is to make suggestions.

BTW, welcome to the forum...
    Hang out and lurk... Read read read... Use search and any questions you have maybe (probably) have a thread. This is a great community with loads of information and helpful, knowledgeable members. Joining is a great first step in learning all things bass.

5. The_menace

The_menace

Jul 17, 2019
    Australia
    Budget is $1600 AUD but I'm looking to spend as little as possible haha, I'm happy with new or used, not fussed by weight too much.
    I generally play a lot of alternative/experimental 90s rock stuff, also post punk, contemporary rock, and some pop. I generally love midrange and dirty bass tones. (Eg: Failure Fantastic Planet has my favorite bass sound)

Going to be playing with various people with various setups, mostly typical rock band. (AC30, JCM800 etc)

What else would be recommended?

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi The_menace :)

good.jpg

Both rigs that you mentioned should do the trick.

Check your local used market for good deals. Cabs (even the light ones) are big and heavy, shipping is expensive!

Try as many different amp/ cab combinations as you can. Nobody can tell how an amp or cab sounds to you!

We have a bunch of cool Aussies on TB! Maybe fill out your profile?

One of the mates might know where to get a good deal in Walkabout Creek. :D

Yoda fingers.jpg

greetings

Wise(b)ass

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022