1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need New interface Win 10 compatible

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassike, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hello, I have an M-audio mobile pre that came with protools SE, it was installed in my old Windows 7 computer, and today I was trying to install this in my new laptop.
    so after talking to the guys from protools, they confirmed that PTSE will not work with windows 10. and I'm not even sure if the drivers for the m-audio will work.

so I need some suggestions, something affordable that will be compatible with windows 10 and that comes with some software to be able to record, also at this point I do not know what is new out there and if they also come with some drums plugins, that would be nice.

budget i guess a max of 200, but less would be nice

2. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, never had any problems with Windows 10. It's regarded pretty highly around these parts.

3. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    it looks great, I was hoping to spend less on this, because to be honest, i do not record very often, i do record some samples whenever I get a new bass, and now i started recording some ideas with the guitar player for new songs, but does not need to sound top quality, I just need something that records and it is easy to use.

thank you

4. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    ok the Scarlett 2i2 looks good enough for what I want, can anyone comment on the software that comes with it?
    will this be windows 10 compatible.

thank you

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  5. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I use a Seinberg UR22Mkii for my desktop recording interface. If you don’t need two XLR inputs, the UR12 is cheaper (has one XLR and one unbalanced in). Have had mine a few years with no complaints. Great product for the price.

It comes with a basic version of their Cubase software. I have the full version of the software and love it. Gave my buddy the one that came with the interface. He seemed pretty happy with it and said it had the core features he needed for what he was doing (basic recordings and composing with basic VST instruments)

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I use the 2i4 and am quite happy with it for basic recording just me. Wish I'd gotten the 8i16 though instead for recording a whole band at once. But I haven't used the software that came with it, I've done all my recording with freeware Audacity, just trying to learn Reaper as well (slow going, very different). But for occasional personal recording, I think Audacity is pretty good.

7. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hi in my case it is just me recording bass and for the band just recording guitar ideas.
    Thats why i taught the 2i2 would be good enough, and even the solo.

bholder likes this.
  8. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Thank you i will check it out, the m audio i have came with a basic protools vercion, and i was fine with it.
    The only thing i hated, was that i couldnt use protools, unless the m audio was plugged to the computer.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pick up ASIO4ALL
    Old USB interfaces are no problem. Work with any DAW software.
    Reaper is always a good choice.

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i know nothing. reaper? seconded?

11. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    My buddy never had my audio interface so you should be able to use the included version of Cubase without it. Back when I had the basic version of Cubase (over 10 years ago), the license was stored on the computer. I believe you could deactivate the license in your online account to transfer it (if/when you get a new computer), but I could be wrong (never did it).

Higher end versions of Cubase actually have a USB licensing key which is my preferred licensing method. I have had several computers and operating systems running the same license of Cubase. The usb licenser just means I can only run it on one computer at a time.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Reaper. Seconded. Excellent Windows DAW software. :thumbsup:

13. SuperCasualAlan

SuperCasualAlan

Jul 13, 2016
    Canada
    I just needed a cheap interface to practice with headphones, picked up a Behringer u-phoria umc202hd, it was 100 CDN and does what it says. The mic pre amps are MIDAS and it's a metal enclosure. It comes with Tracktion software license. Very happy with it no issues and it has direct monitoring capabilities. I would recommend the u-phoria HD lineup for anyone on a budget as I've seen the price for this unit as low as 60 USD.

bassike likes this.
  14. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    a friend of mine likes reaper, and I checked it out quick, seems like it is about 60 for the license, I have no problem with that, but id like to get something very similar to what I had, a regular interface that comes with a decent software to record for about 100, I'm not opposed to the idea to spend a bit more, and if I get good at it, I wouldn't mind spending more in recording plugins and recording software, but right now I need a decent interface that includes the software.

15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    2i2 user here

16. rodak

rodak

Jun 14, 2005
    Not sure what all you're wanting to do, but I use Audacity (Free) with a Behringer UFO202 and it works great.

packhowitzer likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Can't help you there. What's included differs with the product and when you get it. Because the software titles change as well.

If you go here you can see what software is being included with Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2. Looks like it's lite versions of Ableton Live and ProTools plus some other useful stuff. There should be everything there you need to get started in the package. A Focusrite 2i2 runs about $150 at Sweetwater last I looked.

I can recommend the Focusrite Scarlett product line for the interfaces because that's what I use and I'm very happy with the results I get. I don't use the included software much or at all except for the occasional utility or plug-in, so I can't say much about it.

Same goes for me recommending Cubase and Reaper which I've used in the past, and Harrison Mixbus 32c which I'm currently using as my DAW. I thought those were very good products. Reaper is the most affordable. Mixbus in the low middle. And Cubase was expensive.

18. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Tascam US-322 interface works fine with Win10 (or OSX High Sierra, for that matter) and they can be had very cheap if you look around. Highly recommend Ardour DAW...

19. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    I do stuff like this below, I find bass-less tracks or drum samples and record over it, but I would like to record my own stuff, and add the drum.

20. Focusrite brand. Not sure which is the hippest particular unit to get at this date but my best and most trusted professional audio engineer says to go with that. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017