need new paint job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lull&smooth, Aug 6, 2004.

1. lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    before you guys start dropping insults on my bass i have a highway 1 jazz bass and i was wondering how much a new gloss finish would cost

(any websites in mind let me know)

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You could check out Pat Wilkins and Roxy Finish, but I'm afraid that the cost of a refin might be almost what you spent for your bass. :(
  3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I would say between $200 and $250 if it doesn't need to be stripped. Otherwise, add $100-$150. I get these prices from wanting to refinish mine also.

Good luck.
  4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    Go Cobain style and get some house-paint. Touch-ups will be a breeze.
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Bring it to your local car body shop. Get a estimate.
  6. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I can't wait to get my bass painted by them.
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    go to I would think if all you wanna do is put a gloss over it or something like that itd be like $50 to do yourself.
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bring a magnet to check for Bondo, too.
  9. rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    The hardest part and most expensive will be stripping and prepping the body! If you feel up to it, get some professional strength paint stripper and remove all the paint. It won't want to come off easily but keep at it with the stripper and a paint scraper and after several coats of stripper you should be at the bare wood. Bear in mind the Highway series are done in a polyester finish and are a @#%$ to remove! :(

Give the stripped body a sand down with 400 grit, 800 grit and finally 1200 grit wet and dry until you're happy with the job and then take it to a pro if you're not confident of painting it yourself. In all honesty if you've managed to get the sanded body to the point where it's super smooth and ready for painting you could probably tackle it yourself. Go to the re-ranch site and read up on the techniques before having a go.

I just completed an ash Jazz body in a natural finish and I couldn't be happier. I was quoted $200 to do the job and an extra $150 to strip and prep it. I spent under $100 to do the job myself. :)
  10. lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    thank you all you've been a great help to my problem and now i have found a solution