1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need new pickups - could use some help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fachie3, Jan 14, 2002.

1. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Hello all,

I have a Kramer 8 string bass I purchased back in 82 - I have changed pickups to an Alembic model - which the model number is a distant memory.
    With the 8 string I get a ton of highs from the thiner strings and lack the low in balls type of sound.
    Can you tell me what pickups would be best for my situation. I play mostly rock and with a pick 70% of the time.
    And would you suggest active or passive????

Thanks - I look forward to your replies.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I cannot remember what type of pup they use. What are they? P and J?

I have an Alembic system and it has highs and lows from one knob (low pass filter)

More info please. I have subscribed to this thread. Later.

3. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    CS,

I bought them back in the mid 80's 2 black pick ups (smaller that a credit card each) with Alembic in gold on each. I wired them up so I could not tell you about low and high pass filter - one thing I can say is that by rotating on knob I get a wah effect on the sound - which might go back to that filter you spoke of - on 10 it's very crisp - the other way very bassy (if that's a word) and muddy.
    I have a peavey Dyna bass with active pickups that sound real good and I am looking at what would be close to that.

Thanks