Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need new pickups - could use some help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fachie3, Jan 14, 2002.

1. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Hello all,

I have a Kramer 8 string bass I purchased back in 82 - I have changed pickups to an Alembic model - which the model number is a distant memory.
    With the 8 string I get a ton of highs from the thiner strings and lack the low in balls type of sound.
    Can you tell me what pickups would be best for my situation. I play mostly rock and with a pick 70% of the time.
    And would you suggest active or passive????

Thanks - I look forward to your replies.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I cannot remember what type of pup they use. What are they? P and J?

I have an Alembic system and it has highs and lows from one knob (low pass filter)

More info please. I have subscribed to this thread. Later.

3. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    CS,

I bought them back in the mid 80's 2 black pick ups (smaller that a credit card each) with Alembic in gold on each. I wired them up so I could not tell you about low and high pass filter - one thing I can say is that by rotating on knob I get a wah effect on the sound - which might go back to that filter you spoke of - on 10 it's very crisp - the other way very bassy (if that's a word) and muddy.
    I have a peavey Dyna bass with active pickups that sound real good and I am looking at what would be close to that.

Thanks