1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need new pre for my Warwick $$

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frankieg, Mar 25, 2009.

1. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Not to excited about how this bass is sitting in our live mix. It came stock with the MEC two band pre amp and I really would like to control my mids without having to go back and forth to the amp to do it. Who has swapped out the stock pre for something else? How do you like it now? I'm Really interested in hearing from anyone swapping the stock pre to a bart ntmb. Thanks!!!

2. I don't have a Warwick but some preamps I have used that are really nice are: Glockenlang (Played on a Human Base 5 string), Audere (Have one on my jazz bass, you can get one that would work for you $$), Bartolini, and Aguilar

3. EMG is ok and not very pricey.

4. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Thanks for the replies. Been researching the Aggie OBP-3, Bart, and now Audere and the Glock. The only sound samples I've been able to find of any of these in a $$, and I've been searching tough, is of the bart and the aggie. I like what the Bart seems to do sound wise. Now I'm trying to figure out if the install is pretty straight forward or not. I have come across alot of threads of people in the same position but haven't found much of the outcome on whether they were happy with it and how the install went. Anyone else?

5. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I upgraded the preamp in my former Lakland 55-01 to a Bart NTMB. I actually did not think it made that much difference. I sold the 55-01 for a Warwick Corvette $$ (5) just about 2 months ago. I personally do not miss the complicated tone controls of the 55-01. With my $$ I just could not see complicating it any further by adding another knob to the mix in addition to the 4 knobs and coil tap switches. I love the mid range tones of the Warwick and I do not find I lack for much. The mid-scoop on my Markbass head gets me where I want to be at any given time and leave the amp tone controls flat. But that is just me.

On another note I have played a couple of passive Corvette's and I think their mid-range tones are amazing to the point that I'd really like to have one of those too.

The installation should be straight forward though I think in the 'vette the body cavity would be very tight. It was tight in my 55-01 and I'd say the cavity is probably 20-30% larger in the Lakland. I did the upgrade myself and it was time consuming and I am very good at soldering in tight spaces. If you are not confided at soldering or familiar with guitar wiring I would not advise doing the upgrade yourself. PM me if you have any questions.

6. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    PM'd!

7. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Anyone else?