Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need new pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by axman, Nov 4, 2002.

1. I will probley got stoned for this so im ducking as im typeing:p I have a sr305dx. The DX5's pups needless to say suck. It dont seem to have enough bottom end & punch.. So what kind of pups do i need to get more bottom end??

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    You need another bass.

3. I've never even HEARD of that bass.

How about..say..a company name!?!?

If anythign...SADOWSKY PUPS PWN JOOZ!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's an Ibanez. An Ibanez Soundgear, to be specific.

Probably any pickups will be an improvement. (No offense.) Are they soapbars? Measure them and then compare those specs to those on the EMG and Bartolini websites. Those are the two options I would go with.

5. the only reasons i bought it was couse i liked the thin neck and the string spaceing is close.I knew it would need different pick ups. are the barts better than the emg if so how. i never played a bass that had them.what are the difference between them?
    aside from maker.

6. Looks like im gonna try a bartolini pre amp first..Also thinking of new bridge. Has anyone ever put a BADASSll or HIPSHOT bridge on a basswood body?? I think that is what this bass is made with?? How will this affect the sound will it make it better or worse??

7. Then upgrade to a 5 string. You can get an Austin bass with dual humbuckers for around $300

8. This is a five string.

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Coupla things. First, it looks like your bass has soapbars according to the pic on the Music123 site. So if you want to replace them, you should measure them, and then check your dimensions against the dimensional drawings available at the Bartolini site to see if anything matches up.

Also, I haven't tried an sr305dx, but it seems strange that it wouldn't give you enough bottom end, especially with that "PHAT" bass boost. I've had more of a problem with too much bottom, i.e. boominess. Depends on your situation, I guess. What amp are you using?

Music123 lists the sr305dx at a "closeout price" of $332.99. You could easily spend half that amount or more on a set of good pickups.

I agree with the idea of trying something like a Bart preamp first. Cheap preamps can drag your sound down more than pickups as a rule.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

10. Yeh the pick ups are about 185.00 for the set and the pre amp is about 65.00. im useing gk 700rb head. The bass sounds really bad if i dont use my gt6 it has some effects with alot of bottom which help. But im not to crazy on them couse than it sounds real muddy. especially when i go to droped D or C tuning.